Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is gonna be the weird question of the day.But here goes. I am 54 years old, had street bikes off and on (mostly on) since I was in my mid 20's. I had a VTX 1300 a few years ago. Sold it when I relocated to another state. After two years, I was ready for another bike. I bought another VTX1300. This one is a bit more fancy,the first one was plain jane. I bought it as it sits now. Aftermarket pipes, upgraded seat, sissy bar, windshield, speakers, gps,some chrome stuff.ect. The guy was rich and he had it all prettied up. This might be relevant to the question. So I've just always got on my bike and rode, no problems. But not on this one. At low speed (think like rolling up to red light, pre stop, walking speed) This thing feels evil, feels like I'm gonna fall over. Bike is hard to control. At some time in your life, you have driven something like that. I have to slam my feet down multiple times. I think its a matter of finding out if something could be wrong on the bike, causing this issue. Or am I just getting old and my riding skills are fading off? It just feels heavy at low speed. It goes down the road just fine. I'm kinda at a loss with it. One thing I noted is that it does have a aftermarket chrome drive shaft cover. I'm sure this adds a few pounds to one side of the bike. Relevant or not, IDK. Hit me up with answers, questions, comments, whatever.

Side note. I don`t know if anyone else does this. My center of gravity is not the center of the bike. If I sit centered, I will fall over to the right. I sit about an inch to the left of center in the seat. Is this a normal thing ?

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
882 Posts
Welcome to the forum . Balance is so much the bike .,, Some are just better .., The higher center of gravity is your problem .., Try something a little lower , and better balanced ... I'm riding Shadows . Much easier ....,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not an expert, and never ridded a VTX. having to sit off to one side doesn't sound right.
The bike should balance at rest with no noticeable force required to keep it there. Something must be a bit off.
You could put a bit of weight on the light side to counter balance it, but probably getting it checked would be a better idea. Just make sure you describe your problem well.

·
Premium Member
6,204 Posts
Side note. I don`t know if anyone else does this. My center of gravity is not the center of the bike. If I sit centered, I will fall over to the right. I sit about an inch to the left of center in the seat. Is this a normal thing ?
Is this effect when rolling, or only when stopped? If rolling, the forks could be offset, making the trail angle push it to one side. If still, that shouldn't be a factor. But, definitely make some measurements to be sure all the hardware is properly centered (especially the battery), then look at the added hardware.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
If I remember correctly the VTX are shaft drive, so rear wheel alignment is not an issue. Steering head bearing could cause an issue here. Also if per chance the forks are not aligned. Doubt you’re hauling enough to make weight distribution the issue. The fact you’re having to sit off center to counter the effect is telling. Worn or under inflated tire will affect balance especially at low speeds.

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
463 Posts
Weighing somewhere around 800 pounds, a VTX is going to demand some leg strength and challenge your balance. Are you that much in love with heavy bikes?

I do get how nice it is to cruise on a heavyweight, but am personally unwilling to be that nervous at low speed and stopped.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I vote for steering head bearings. In the old days when Triumphs had a friction steering damper, the bike would handle fine at speed, but would handle like yours at low speed if the damper was clamped down. Find a way to lift the front of the bike without loading the forks and swing the handlebars from one stop to the other and see how smooth it is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Having had a VTX1300 I agree that it should be well balanced like your first one. Mine had aftermarket pipes, etc.

My opinion on possible causes (all mentioned by others):
50% something mechanical in front forks, wheel bearings or swing arm bearings. Shop needs to check it.
40% tires. Check for a ridge in the center or the front. I had a pirelli wear funny on my FJR and it felt like I didn't have good control at slow speeds. What you describe sounds a bit severe, but it's possible.
10% you. Test ride something else or let a friend ride yours, just to rule out any balance issue developing as you age.

·
Ace Tuner
4,820 Posts
Front wheel diagram:
If I'm looking at the right Year Model the front axle is tightened by way of a bolt (#11) thru the right fork leg, into the axle. On the bottom left fork leg here is a bore and pinch bolt that is used to secure the axle in place on that side.. The axle (#3) has a raised area on it's left end that fits in the left legs bore. The pinch bolt is tightened to secure axle.
Most of the time, maybe every time when the left folk pinch bolt is tightened the edge of bearing collar (#5) will not be flush / up against the bore in the left fork leg. There will be some amount of space between the collar and fork leg bore. It looks like the fork should be pushed up against that collar then tightened but........

With the wheel off the ground and with nothing like a bent up fender that could put unnatural stress, pull or something on the forks loosen the axle bolt then the left fork pinch bolt. Use the hole in the left end of axle to spin / move it a little. Tighten the axle bolt. Next push the left fork tube side to side a little trying to get it to center (sit) where it naturally wants to stay.
Then look at the groove that is cut around the raised part of the axle to see that it lines up perfectly with the edge of the fork tube bore that has the pinch bolt in it. When it does tighten pinch bolt.
Maybe I should have lead with that last sentence?
Anyway, See if that does anything. If I'm thinking of the right model

Just to be sure, you haven't had bad ear infections? Taking sinus meds? That sort of thing can affect your balance. But from your description it sounds like it's the bike, not you. Definitely get it checked out, could be anything from a bent frame to a bad tire.
" That sort of thing can affect your balance."
Yes. Had that happen. May not be something that is readily apparent.

S F

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone, this is gonna be the weird question of the day.But here goes. I am 54 years old, had street bikes off and on (mostly on) since I was in my mid 20's. I had a VTX 1300 a few years ago. Sold it when I relocated to another state. After two years, I was ready for another bike. I bought another VTX1300. This one is a bit more fancy,the first one was plain jane. I bought it as it sits now. Aftermarket pipes, upgraded seat, sissy bar, windshield, speakers, gps,some chrome stuff.ect. The guy was rich and he had it all prettied up. This might be relevant to the question. So I've just always got on my bike and rode, no problems. But not on this one. At low speed (think like rolling up to red light, pre stop, walking speed) This thing feels evil, feels like I'm gonna fall over. Bike is hard to control. At some time in your life, you have driven something like that. I have to slam my feet down multiple times. I think its a matter of finding out if something could be wrong on the bike, causing this issue. Or am I just getting old and my riding skills are fading off? It just feels heavy at low speed. It goes down the road just fine. I'm kinda at a loss with it. One thing I noted is that it does have a aftermarket chrome drive shaft cover. I'm sure this adds a few pounds to one side of the bike. Relevant or not, IDK. Hit me up with answers, questions, comments, whatever.

I went from 500cc to 700cc to 900cc. Never had any balance issues until I starting riding the 900. I have the same problems at slow speeds and at red lights. I have to put my feet down or I'll fall over. I chalked it up to the weight of the bike and higher center of gravity.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,267 Posts
WELCOME TROY !.

My first thought was also tires, "K.I.S.S." and all that, pressure check first, most vehicles have too little pressure in their tires .

As far as you needing to sit off center, I have noticed more than a few other riders have this issue, as long as it doesn't bother you, go with it .
My son has always sat about 2" to the left, it looks very uncomfortable from behind but he's a serious rider with excellent skills so I guess some people are made that way .

Don't forget to check back in from time to time .

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
Weighing somewhere around 800 pounds, a VTX is going to demand some leg strength and challenge your balance. Are you that much in love with heavy bikes?

I do get how nice it is to cruise on a heavyweight, but am personally unwilling to be that nervous at low speed and stopped.
A skilled rider isn’t worried about low speed handling on a heavy bike. I’m riding 964lbs and I can pull up to a stop sign balanced and wait 3 or 4 seconds before putting my feet down.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
I went from 500cc to 700cc to 900cc. Never had any balance issues until I starting riding the 900. I have the same problems at slow speeds and at red lights. I have to put my feet down or I'll fall over. I chalked it up to the weight of the bike and higher center of gravity.
Agree that bike center of gravity plays a bigger part than size.

·
Zip
3,393 Posts
Agree that bike center of gravity plays a bigger part than size.
I definitely learned this last summer. I've been riding my R1150RT for about 4 years. It's about 630 lbs wet with a lot of the weight up high. When I'm creeping along in traffic I have to work very hard to keep it going in a straight line. Last summer I got a chance to ride an R18 bagger, BMW's 1800cc boxer cruiser. Over 900 lbs, but with the weight down low. Creeping along at a very slow speed, I could almost take my hands off the bars and still keep going straight. It was a night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
463 Posts
A skilled rider isn’t worried about low speed handling on a heavy bike. I’m riding 964lbs and I can pull up to a stop sign balanced and wait 3 or 4 seconds before putting my feet down.
I added the bold accent - to the relative caveat you used. I think you are correct with that statement, but it sure is not a good place to start your motorcycle experience.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
I added the bold accent - to the relative caveat you used. I think you are correct with that statement, but it sure is not a good place to start your motorcycle experience.
I agree. That’s why I’ve always advised against a new rider getting something beyond their skill level. Skill is not pointing it down a road and going, nor is it being able to handle twisty roads. Slow speed maneuvering skills are what display mastery of your vehicle, for they translate into every facet of riding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts