Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just got my first bike (klr650) about a week ago, and I'm having trouble with stopping. It seems like as soon as I slow down for a stop, my bike just wants to lean to one side and lay down. Even on level ground with front wheel aligned it wants to pitch to one side, so I have to catch it at each stop. I already dropped it once because of this.

Is there something I'm missing? I've seen others come to a complete stop then take off without even putting their feet on the ground.

Someone told me I should be using the rear break to stop then leaning slightly left and putting my left foot down, but that seems like a horrible idea on an already tall and heavy (to me) bike... And I have taken the msf classes. I had no problems on their 250 bikes.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
a 2 wheeled bike will not stand on it's own without moving, you will HAVE to lean it over a bit at a stop and put your foot down....otherwise it will fall whichever way it wants and you will have to try and catch it...

just to be sure of something....you had no problems on the 250's in the class, did you have to put your foot down when you stopped? I also wonder why you bought a bike that is, as you said, "already tall and heavy (to me) bike".....if you can't put your foot down flat (or at least close to flat) at a stop, the bike is too tall for you...especially as a beginning rider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the 250's I feel like I had much more time to plant my feet. The klr tends to want to tip as soon as it slows down, yet I'm not slow enough to put my feet down.

As for the height, I can't completely flat foot it, but I'm still pretty comfortable with it.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
a 2 wheeled bike will not stand on it's own without moving, you will HAVE to lean it over a bit at a stop and put your foot down....otherwise it will fall whichever way it wants and you will have to try and catch it...

just to be sure of something....you had no problems on the 250's in the class, did you have to put your foot down when you stopped? I also wonder why you bought a bike that is, as you said, "already tall and heavy (to me) bike".....if you can't put your foot down flat (or at least close to flat) at a stop, the bike is too tall for you...especially as a beginning rider
I think it has a 35" seat height, it's obviously not a bike for beginners. The CG is a lot higher than a street bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The KLR is at 35". The MSF bikes were... a lot lower.

This could be what my problem is. Apparently they make links to lower the KLR, so maybe that would help.

·
Very Famous Person
9,688 Posts
--

You also may be sitting off to one side while riding which will make your bike tilt.

One way to see is if when you stop that both feet touch the ground the same amount while completely vertical. You may not be able to do that too well.

--

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It sounds to me like your bike is too tall for you. Which sucks because those are cool bikes. Just curious, how tall are you? Is this your first experience riding? If so, TBH l would have gone with a smaller dual-purpose, like an XT225, and then moved up in a year or two.

Also, what kind of tires are on your bike? If you have a more aggressive tire that leans more towards off-roading, then you will have less control on the road. I have never ridden one of the newer dual purpose bikes, but l have cheated on wilderness roads plenty on my dirt bikes, and they can get pretty wobbly with a knobby on them, especially if they do not have enough tire pressure. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Unless the frame is bent, there must be something YOU are doing to make the bike tip as you are coming to a stop. Most likely you don't have the handlebars square (straight) when you finally come to a stop.

That bike does have a high center of gravity, but it should be balanced.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It may not help very much but, you could try riding with only 1/2 or 1/3 tank of gas. That will reduce some of the weight from the top of the bike.

Also if the suspension is adjustable you may be able to drop the pre-load as low as it'll go, so the bike drops lower as soon as you sit on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds to me like your bike is too tall for you. Which sucks because those are cool bikes. Just curious, how tall are you? Is this your first experience riding? If so, TBH l would have gone with a smaller dual-purpose, like an XT225, and then moved up in a year or two.

Also, what kind of tires are on your bike?
I am about 5'11" with boots on. It's been awhile, but I have ridden smaller dirt bikes before. No problems there, but then again it was only off-road though cornfields.

The Pre-load is already at it's lowest point, and I have street tires on the bike at the moment, so I doubt that's the problem. I think it's just a combination of me being relatively short and lightweight (150lb) for this kind of bike. When I first considering the bike I was a bit worried about that height, but saw there was ways to lower it. I guess I just need to fork out $50 to get the part to lower it a couple more inches. :frown:

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Buy the lowering link and see if it helps. If you like the bike you can do a lot to shape it to your physical needs. You might also see if you can get a shaved down seat.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I am about 5'11" with boots on. It's been awhile, but I have ridden smaller dirt bikes before. No problems there, but then again it was only off-road though cornfields.

The Pre-load is already at it's lowest point, and I have street tires on the bike at the moment, so I doubt that's the problem. I think it's just a combination of me being relatively short and lightweight (150lb) for this kind of bike. When I first considering the bike I was a bit worried about that height, but saw there was ways to lower it. I guess I just need to fork out $50 to get the part to lower it a couple more inches. :frown:
I wouldn't consider 5'11" to be short. Shorter than me, but not short. That being said yes, a 35" seat height is very tall but manageable. I'm going to put it at inexperience and the inability to flat foot it. Try the lowering link and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yeah, if you can lower it two inches l think that would do wonders for you.

While 5'11" isn't short, it isn't tall either...l think you really need to be a taller rider to ride those bikes without lowering them, especially if you are new. I really hope this works for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts