Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yesterday I posted regarding issues starting my Ninja 250 shifter kart in the making. Today I started it! I grounded the coils plus whatever else looked like it should be grounded, then I unplugged the regulator and wabam, it started! Afterwards I plugged in the regulater, went to start the engine and it blew the fuse right before ignition. My question is; Is this an issue with the Regulator/Rectifier or a wiring issue that the regulator is safeguarding against the engine? I don't know engough about wiring or r/r's to know the answer...

Any help would be hugely appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Regulators can have various designs. Rectifiers are pretty straightforward and consist of 4 diodes for a single phase or 6 diodes for a 3 phase. It's not at all uncommon for a diode to open up, resulting in half power output, or short out, resulting in what you experienced.

There's lots of info on the internet about how to test a rectifier, and it's likely this info will be in a service manual for the donor bike. Here's a video about the 4 diode, "bridge" variety of rectifier:

Of course, if you hacked up the wiring harness, there could be some problem(s) that you created by mis-wiring. A project of the size you mentioned, would definitely benefit from you, or some other involved party, having a fair amount of knowledge about how the electrical systems are supposed to work. I think most people find it difficult to provide guidance when inquiries are too open ended.

I would suggest, as a starting point, that you acquire a wiring diagram of the donor harness, and mark it up with any modifications you have made. This will be educational for you, and will allow other people to guide you.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts