Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom for my son, while it was waiting for warm weather sitting at the Kawasaki store, I had a Kawasaki Light Bar installed......the idea is to make sure my son is seen.

Last Saturday we went and got his bike, rode back with him behind me, I could see the light bar lights clearly, the headlight was on low beam and could just barely see it. When we got home I told him to turn the headlight on high beam and he did.

Went out Wednesday for a ride, son behind me, and the light bar was not on. I stopped and had him pull up and I tried the switch, still no lights.

Went to Kawasaki store today and they told me they are supposed to only work on low beam.......the owners 900 Custom was the same way.

Not really believing this is right I checked online at kawasaki.com installation instructions for the light bar..........there is a note that says they will only work on low beam

I called Kawasaki, the guy I talked to didn't like the light bars either, he said maybe they will take a look at it if he puts it in as a customer complaint, so he did.

I checked National cycle light bars and they are designed to work with high or low beam(your choice) but not both(for a 900 Custom)

I'm going to take it apart(when it warms up) and see if I can hook it up to the high beam only(good enough because I want him to keep it on high beam all the time anyway). Otherwise I'm going to get Kuryakyn that does work on high and low beam for Kawasaki 900 Custom, I checked with the online chat person at Kuryakyn, it took about 5 min for him to get the answer.

I don't know what they were thinking designing a light bar to work only with low beam..........I can see designing it to work with high beam only.

So if you have a Kawasaki and want a lightbar, I'd suggest NOT getting the Kawasaki light bar(unless it can be hooked up for high beam only).

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
My Yamaha is the same way. I think the idea is that if the high beam is on there probably isn't anyone in front of you. If there is, then you would be using your low beam so as not to blind them. Therefore you will need extra lights to be seen.
Most are flood lights anyway, not a huge difference at night with high beams on except right in front of you.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Yamaha does not work that way. They come on when the engine is started(same as the headlight) and they stay on unless I turn them off with the switch.

They are on bright or dim and they really make a difference.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
The hot wire to mine comes off the low beam power. I considered changing it to switched hot, but realized it barely made a difference beyond a few feet so I left it alone.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Might be law thing. Every car I've ever owned, the fog lamps only work with the low beams.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a switch to turn the light bar off, do it at night and see how difference it makes.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
My Road Star driving lights (factory lights) work with high and low beam, there's a small toggle switch on the left one that turns them on and off....

·
So long
2,739 Posts
By design the stock road lamps on my Harley Road King cut out if the headlight was switched to highbeam. The same is true with the fog lights on my car. It doesn't matter in the car since the two headlights do a good job of lighting everything up. It did matter on the Harley because although the highbeams let me see further down the road, the close by sides of the road went dark.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Road Star driving lights (factory lights) work with high and low beam, there's a small toggle switch on the left one that turns them on and off....
Thats the way mine are except the switch is on the handlebars. I have been out on it at night and they make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a warranty thing, as to why you did not just make it happen the way you wanted?
I bought the bike last Oct or Nov, its been at the dealers until last Saturday when we went and picked it up. I had the dealer put the light bar on so that it is rolling out of the store ready to go.

When it warms up, hopefully within a couple weeks, I'm going to take it apart and see if I can hook them up to the bright like the National Cycle light bar.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By design the stock road lamps on my Harley Road King cut out if the headlight was switched to highbeam. The same is true with the fog lights on my car. It doesn't matter in the car since the two headlights do a good job of lighting everything up. It did matter on the Harley because although the highbeams let me see further down the road, the close by sides of the road went dark.
Sounds like bad everybody not just Kawasaki.

Fog lights use to have some good rules about their use.....had to have amber lens, had to be angled down, had to have separate on off switch from the headlights, and could only be turned on during fog or rain conditions......but all good things go away.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
You just need to change the 'hot' wire to your light bar from your low beam power source (most common) to your running lights, hot when the ignition is on. You may need to run a relay for power,

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^:71baldboy:

Yeah, that's what I did on the Springer. I ran them off the running light circuit and added a separate dash switch. The light bar switches on when I turn it on and is independent of either high or low beams.

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
In New Jersey, any "driving lights" must come on only with the low beam.
Stupidest law I've ever heard of.
I've always wired mine myself and I have them wired to
a separate switch so I can turn 'em on or off as needed,
high beam or low beam!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
In New Jersey, any "driving lights" must come on only with the low beam.
Stupidest law I've ever heard of.
I've always wired mine myself and I have them wired to
a separate switch so I can turn 'em on or off as needed,
high beam or low beam!
Maine has the same law. Don't make any sense to me, personally. I hear it is so you do not blind approaching drivers, but you're supposed to switch to your low beams when you have approaching traffic. Somewhere, in these laws, is a complete lack of common sense.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
If you have a switch to turn the light bar off, do it at night and see how difference it makes.
Yep I did, only difference was right near the bike (flood lights). If I changed out to spots then yeah I would definitely change that too. Mine are good for being seen, not to see.
If that Kawasaki is that way, maybe check what the lights are actually lighting up before worrying about when they're on, might want different lights first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts