Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a Sportster with a Sundowner seat, I have a Sportster with a Sundowner seat, both great seats.

My brother bought a Sundowner for his Sportster this year after the price hike. Afterwards he rarely rides, when he does he wants to ride one of my bikes.

Saturday I rode his bike. I now understand why he doesn't do much riding. The new version of the Sundowner sucks sucks sucks.........that doesn't really describe how bad it is. Let me try while keeping the language down, I would rather ride my Buell Blast for a half hr at a time than get on that bike for 10 min.

There is no support to this seat whatsoever.

My apologies to anyone that went and bought one based on my praise of the seat.

We(cousin, brother, and I) are heading to the Harley dealer in Huntington, where he bought the seat, to see what can be done, that is clearly a defect in materials or workmanship, and taking 2 Sundowners for proof. And he's strapping on his '13 stock seat. I can't believe he left that piece of ^%& on his bike.

We'll see what happens, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No luck at Charlies HD in Huntington WV.

The guy was trying to convince us it was the same seat, it just needed to be broke in. Mine from day 1 has had support and has been a seat you can ride in all day.........never heard of gaining support as it breaks in.

So the guy says they'll give him 10% off on another seat, my brother points at my seat and asks "do you have any of those seats" the guy says no we only got those and pointed at my brothers seat. The dealer knows its not the same seat.

Since the only number for HD(I'm sure there are others) is to a menu then another menu..........but you will never reach a person. So the next step is snail mail to HD.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried Harley contact number again, actually 3 more times, and finally got the correct combination and got a person.

Told the person of the problem and I got put in forwarded to case manager........which bounced me around until I was finally back to the original guy. He took my cell number(they already have my home number) and gave me a case number and a case manager should be calling me back.....sometime.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We need to get somebody HD to say the seat isn't what its supposed to be.........anybody HD, doesn't have to be the guy that is losing the sale.

So Monday, first day we can both go, we are going to Man-O-War HD in Lexington. Then we are a phone call away.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to Harley.com the seat number is 51507-04

On the bottom of mine, my brothers is not here, is RDW-92/61-0067
A bar and shield with Harley Davidson made in USA, a clock face with an arrow pointing at 2 with a 12 in the middle, I'd guess it was made Feb 2012. The tongue has a bar and shield with the same RDW number engraved. The seat cover has 15 03163 stamped on it.

I'll go over to my brothers today and check his.

Checking google on the RDW number it appears to be on all late model HD seats.....I'm guessing manufacturer number

My 2004 stock seat has the same number, clockface with 04 in the middle and the arrow pointing to 1, guessing it was made in Jan 04.

Stock seat under the front of the passengers seat is a large 688, stamped over top of it is milsco, then underneath is 0304 963, this number doesn't come up for HD or google searches.

This same section of the Sundowner seat has a piece of seatcover material stapled over it.

Did a search on milsco, makes some motorcycle stuff including seats, with some cool looking motorcycle seats but I can't find a way to get one. It seems the US distributors are all tractor seats.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I go over to my brothers, he gets a call and the guy he was waiting on cancelled, so off to Man-O-War Harley we go.

Now the reason I'm doing the calling and talking is because my brother is bit shy about getting started in a complaint but when he gets going........it doesn't do any good. At Charlies HD in WV I did most of the talking and the guy there was basically a *&^.

In Lexington, we talk to the service consultant, both bikes sitting outside he goes out and looks at mine and says oh thats nice, took a seat, he really likes the seat, gets off still looking at my bike and saying thats nice, gets on my brothers bike squishes down in the seat and says holy *&*&%, gets off and agrees that sucks.

So the big boss(service manager) goes up to parts and gets a new Sundowner seat for 13 1200 Sportster and it is identical to the one my brother has.

So they can't say there is a defect in materials or workmanship, but they do agree the seat sucks. If he had bought it there they would certainly exchange it, and they couldn't understand why Charlies HD would not.

They go on about them being different bikes and thus a different seat was made, but do agree the seat should be at the very least close to the original. And they say my seat will not fit on his bike, so we took them off and my seat fits on his bike better than the seat made for his bike.

Well my brother is getting hot over the talk of the seat being made different, and he comes out with "why call it a Sundowner, why not call it the ****ty Sundowner so everyone knows not to buy it", and his tone was a bit less than friendly. So I'm hey hey its not these guys fault.

The boss decided there wasn't going to be a phone call, the other guy told me to keep hounding Harley, because that seat sucks.

Facts(besides the seat sucks)
It is the correct seat, and there is no material or manufacturing defects, it is designed that way. This seat is for 07 and newer 1200 Sportsters.

A Sundowner seat that fits 04 883C(the great seat) fits perfectly on a 13 1200C.

On the bottom of the seats is a stamp giving month and year the seat was made.

Mine (the good one) was made in 2012 bought last year.
The seat my brother bought was made in 2009, the identical seat they brought out was also made in 2009.

So Harley is still trying to get rid of 2009 stock of a seat that sucks. And in 2013 they were up to 2012 stock of a great seat.........hmmmmm I think Harley knows the seat sucks.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
51507-04 is a Harley part number, which you know. All the other numbers that you have are manufacturer numbers or date and material codes. The seat was apparently changed slightly in 2007, but what the change was I couldn't guess.

So, hopefully you can get 'em to switch out the bad seat for one made for the earlier bike?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot, I called Harley again and couldn't get John the case manager, I gave them my brothers number for him to call.

Called my brother and told him they will call him, and that he should probably keep calm.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
51507-04 is a Harley part number, which you know. All the other numbers that you have are manufacturer numbers or date and material codes. The seat was apparently changed slightly in 2007, but what the change was I couldn't guess.

So, hopefully you can get 'em to switch out the bad seat for one made for the earlier bike?
That is the hope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts