Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now my bike is too small for any real luggage, and I've been using a hiking backpack to do any carrying I need to do. It works pretty well, actually, except that it is built for hiking rather than riding and I have to spend 5 minutes tucking away all the myriad straps I use to cinch down the bag. Once that's done though, I barely even notice I'm wearing it.

I'm wondering, what are some other really good backpacks out there? Anyone have any opinions of any?

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Backpacks are a safety hazard in an accident: it is attached to your back, and it stays there wherever you are thrown, likely causing greater injury... I would not wear one on a motorcycle.

There are alternatives: over the seat saddlebags (saddlebags are made for every type of bike, including rockets); tank bags (magnetic, and straps); trunks (from expensive Givi's, to inexpensive Emgo models); as well as bags which mount to the passenger seat position. There are bags of all types, and sizes, available to choose from. I would suggest looking into them instead. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can always bungee net your pack to the rear part of the seat while riding. I'd just look for a correct sized 1000 Denier rucksack, with a drawstring under the top flap.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I've got a Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack for hiking that I'm planning on using while riding. It is small enough so that it doesn't need a rigid frame for support, so I don't see how it could be a safety hazard (depending, of course, on what is in your pack -- most of my stuff is fairly soft).

The only downside is that it is a bit pricey, although its made in the USA and is of excellent quality.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
How about looking for something in a military surplus store? Sometimes they'll have not only US stuff, but a bewildering variety from other countries too. I bought some inexpensive, heavy duty satchels that were from Argentina or Israel or somewhere for storing straps and such in my truck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about looking for something in a military surplus store? Sometimes they'll have not only US stuff, but a bewildering variety from other countries too. I bought some inexpensive, heavy duty satchels that were from Argentina or Israel or somewhere for storing straps and such in my truck.
That's actually a great idea. Some of those bags are really good at securing down. I'll cruise around to the various milsurp stores in the area and see what's available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wolfman

Wolfman soft luggage has worked perfectly for me in the past. The version I used basically consisted of one large and one small duffle bag. The larger bag rested on the passenger seat and the straps utilized the passenger foot pegs. The smaller bag was then attached only to the larger bag, and not to the bike. When you pull up to your hotel or friends house, it takes about 15 seconds to take the luggage off and carry it in. On the way out, It only takes about a minute to put back on (once you know how it goes on your bike anyway). If you're bike doesn't have a passenger seat, wolfman does make many other versions of soft luggage, however I have not used any others. I have also used tourmaster luggage that I was satisfied with.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Back pack.

Myself and many others wear back packs.
Mine used to be pink, and none of the Harley guys would talk to me.
$20- is usually my price limit. I have three different sizes depending on loads. A strap across your chest is a good idea. A shoulder strap can slide off, looking behind when changing lanes.
I also have a good sized tank bag, two saddle bags, a big box, and a large bag that goes across the back of the seat. Sometimes they all get filled, especially if I am going camping and sailing. The tent and sleeping bag and ground cushions, take up a lot of room.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Surplus

I have army boots, and wool pants from a surplus store. And they did have back packs.

Unkle Crusty

·
On The Road Again!
3,006 Posts
No way would I want the extra weight of the pack and it's contents bouncing up and down on my shoulders and back. That would have to be very tiring and back ache inducing after a while. The bike can carry whatever you hang on it. Your back can't. (at least MINE can't!)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If your stuff is moving around on your back, you've got a crappy backpack.

Spend the money and buy a motorcycle specific backpack.

I have owned the Ogio Mach 1, and currently use the Kriega R25. The later is the most comfortable backpack I have ever used. The harness system is second to none. They make bigger sizes if you need to carry more than a change of clothes and 2 meals.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Moving around and bouncing.

Well I have done two trips to Shelton WA this year. About 420 miles.
One trip to SIR WA. About 375 miles. All with a back pack.
So this talk about moving around and bouncing is news to me.
I do many rides down Vancouver Island, lots of rides up my Island. I hope you are getting the idea I ride a lot. And usually with a back pack.
If the weather is okay I will be at it again tomorrow.
This is on three different bikes, in case some think that makes a difference.

My back packs to not move around or bounce.

Unkle Crusty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts