Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any insight on back protection? i see that most mesh jackets ($180 range) come with a non-removable EVA foam of some sort. however, Joe Rocket has some with a removable foam that can be replaced with a CE rated protector. i assume this CE protector is better than the foam.

i want to be protected, period. is the EVA foam good/adequate protection or should i focus on CE type protection? foam just doesn't "feel" right to me. if CE protection is the way to go, it seems i am locked into the Joe Rocket jackets at this price range. any other brands that offer CE protection in this price rance? Thanks in advance.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
If you want to be fully protected, go for high quality leather, which will open it up for more back protectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understood. however, i forgot to mention i live in s. arizona and it is 100+ deg. here 3-4 months out of the year. so leather is out for at least 6 months a year. i need mesh.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
Ah, yea it's been that way here for about a week, and I hate it. We are going down a little lower now.

I saw a review by a company of a jacket and I specifically remember them saying "Throw out the foam, replace it with real protection" -- CE is better than the foam insert.

That's all the help I can give, good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket leather jacket with CE rated shoulder and elbows. The back pad was laughable, so I purchased an Alpinestars CE rated spine protector. Fit the jacket perfectly and now have a little more peace of mind from having adequate spine protection.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have a lether joe rocket with ce shoulder, elbow and spine protectors and it has multi zippers to allow air to flow for hot days i wear it on 100+ days all the time its fine unless your sitting for a long period then it does get a little warm but it was a bit higher then 180

·
Registered
117 Posts
Get fully perforated leather, perhaps.

Mesh, frankly, scares me. My mesh jacket, which I wear only when it is extremely hot, has solid textile on the outer arms and impact areas.

I feel that the foam spine protectors are better than nothing, but they are nowhere near the protection of CE approved armor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Flex II has full CE armor at the shoulders, elbows and a substantial pad out back, but I wear a back protector with it. The armor is also adjustable so that it can always be put at the right spot. It's not a flimsy mesh, it is pretty substantial, but I guess its not a "full" mesh. You should check it out. I have two other friends that use it and they love it too.

·
Dis Membered
249 Posts
Textile jackets with CEII protection do cost more, KTM, BMW or top end Dainese jackets are over $600 in Australia.

Absolutely worth it though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts