Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back l sent a PM to my friend Eye_m_no_angel and asked him if he knew of a good book to get that would help a guy like me to learn about motorcycles and understand them. The truth is, l know almost enough to be dangerous and not an ounce more. Everything l know l have picked up here and there, from a variety of sources, and l have never really had the time or opportunity to learn the real fundamentals of motorcycles. I wanted something that was thorough and complete, would start from the beginning and go to the end, and include plenty in between.

His reply was to get the book entitled "Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair" by Johns, Edmundson and Scharff. He added that this was the standard text for many motorcycle repair programs, and that it was not specific to any make or style of bike. So l set off to find a copy.

Well, now, just hold on a sec...that book is over a hundred bucks! Sight unseen, l had to wonder if it was worth it...or, at least, was it worth it to me? I started looking around and decided to keep my eyes open on Ebay for one. Finally, last week l scored one for a little over $50. It came today and l started reading it. I immediately fell in love with it! I am still on the first chapter, but thus far l have found it to be clear and concise, it has excellent illustrations and diagrams explaining what each part is, its function, and how it ties into the next. This is the first time in my life l am reading this sort of material and not at least somewhat lost and hoping it will make sense later down the road. I fully recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about working on their bike, or just understanding how it works in general. And a huge thanks Eye...l truly appreciate it :)

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I had no idea they were so expensive, but I'm glad you found one for a reasonable price. I still use my copy as a standard "go to" reference, especially when I'm working on a non-Harley bike. It won't give me model specific, minute information, but it will almost always have enough info about systems I'm not familiar with to help me understand how they work and to make the right decisions.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If l had known it would be so user-friendly l wouldn't have hsitated to buy the hundred dollar model...but l was quite happy to snag the one l did. I feel like this will give me some great tools going forward so that l will understand things a lot better.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks cmonSTART...l have seen that site before, and l felt like it might be useful at some point, but right out of the gate l had a hard time following him. This is kind of typical for me, l have a hard time visualizing and get lost quickly. This book really just seems tp speak my language.. But l do appreciate you posting it for me :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodsfall, I absolutely agree with this. I have always been of the attitude that, if you are willing to do the work yourself, tools and materials are free. The real expenses are incurred when you start paying someone to work on everything or you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts