Motorcycle Forum banner

Avoiding left turns

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  DGS65 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you guys avoid left turns across traffic? Especially those that might require you to come to a stop in a busy lane to wait for oncoming traffic to clear?

I will rarely make a left across traffic. I will instead go to where I can turn right, to a parking lot perhaps, do a U-turn, back onto the main road and come back so I can make a right turn to my intended destination. There are times when this is not practical but I am of the mind that stopping in a left lane or single lane to make a left turn is Russian Roulette. Of course, if there is a protected left turn lane then I will use that or no oncoming traffic that requires me to slow or stop.

I figure the three places a motorcyclists are most vulnerable are:

1. Cages turning left across your path
2. Cages pushing into your lane
3. Cages rear ending you

Changing subject, I took a work related class recently and the instructor was an avid motorcyclist of the sporty type (as am I). So we talked motorcycles some and he asks me, recounting a story, he told me he was riding his Speed Triple and a fellow began pacing him (racing him). So apparently the kid (squid) took to riding beyond his skill level to keep up and went into the opposing lane on a curve and straight into a head-on with a car. Fatal for the squid and the car driver did have injuries as well. So he asks me straight up if this collision was his fault. Well, wanting to pass the course I gave a gentle answer, but, yes, it was partly his fault because he should have not raced with anyone on a public road. We are responsible for our own actions but there is no need either to tempt a fellow rider or encourage a race.

See less See more
#3 ·
Some places with one way streets, three rights make a left.
Stopping to make a left can sometimes get you drilled from behind. In NZ on the rural roads, you were required to pull over to the shoulder, and cross when it was clear.
I like to have a clear path most of the time before making any left turns.

UK

#4 ·
I don't have a problem making left turns but I do scan the intersection very carefully before proceeding. If I have to stop, I will alternate between checking my rear view and the intersection. I usually don't mind but definitely make sure I "up" my situational awareness!

#6 ·
Intersections are part of my question but as well, stopping in a road, not at an intersection, to make a left turn across traffic. That was really at least 60% of my question. At least at an intersection cagers expect that traffic might stop to make a left turn.

3C

#5 ·
Call me a thrill seeker, but I make left turns whenever my destination takes me there. I never avoid them by making three right turns. When I'm exposed while sitting at a light, whether it's to make a turn or going straight, I'm watching my mirrors until at least two cars behind me have come to a complete stop. When the light changes, if I've filtered to the front, I check left and right when it changes, before moving into the intersection in case there's someone running the light from either direction.

I also do not think that your instructor was in any way, responsible for the death of the other rider. Everyone should ride their own ride and if someone is faster than me (usually the case) they are responsible for themselves, as am I. I'm not going to try riding beyond my level, to keep up with someone and neither should anyone else. Perhaps you left it out, but I didn't see anything in your description of the incident where the instructor invited or challenged the other rider to a race.

#7 ·
I'd say visibility will help mitigate a crash more than anything. I wear high vis gear and if I anticipate having to slow make a left turn without a lane and there are vehicles behind me, I'll usually do a low speed weave back and forth. Occasionally I'll tap the rear brake too, see if that gets attention.

If you're stopped and some guy is coming up with a phone, really not much you can do there. Sure, maybe you could go make 3 right turns, but that's a whole block extra where something else could happen. Or keep the bike pointed towards an opening and gun it, lane splitting if need be, but then again, it might also put you in a worse spot. I always watch, leave plenty of space up front, and stay in gear.

There is always risk inherent to motorcycling, I just mitigate it the best I can and control the factors I can control. Most crashes are still preventable by my action, even if I have right of way.

#10 ·
I start slowing down early, turn on my signal as soon as it becomes non-confusing (in other words, as soon as my left turn is the only one available, even if it's a few hundred feet ahead), pulse the brake lights, and keep a good check on my six to be sure any following traffic is taking note. Even in taking three right turns to avoid a left you can have cross-traffic to contend with, and they can smack you just as easily as oncoming or following traffic.

Keep in mind -- life itself is a sexually-transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. It's ALL risky!:smile_big:

#17 ·
“Left turns,” especially in MY case with a sidecar, are a real adventure!! I can turn her for all she’s worth, and FLY around the corner!!

It’s the RIGHT turns that I have to be careful of!! “Flying the car” can mess with ya!!

In a general reply to what seems to be the OP’s theme........risks we take, are not worth being neurotic about. Face your demons and learn how to overcome! Bravery is only available to the living!!

#19 ·
I sat here watching that video, and I said to myself, "HEY! I know those roads! The video ends with him turning into the back driveway of the (now defunct) Chatterbox where we used to have Bike Night!

#31 ·
Yeah, I was saying the same thing, this area looks so familiar, then into the driveway of the Chatterbox you went... LOL

Many people wouldn't believe that a lot of NJ looks like that with good riding roads, not all of the state was shown on the Sopranos :)

#26 ·
Well you got the last word in didn't you. Feel better?

You can sure see where this site is going now that we no longer have moderators that would control threads like this. Closed thread would follow. It's ran it's course.

#28 ·
Everyone chill out, it is all going to be okay :).

I not only am cautious about exposed left turns but I refrain from traffic all together. One thing about Wichita, I can go to work, a 20 mile one way drive and I may not see another car until nearly at work. I cross only four stop signs and three lights. I need make only one left turn across traffic (and it is with a turn lane but still exposed).

I can ride many places, a coffee shop, a book store, a Starbucks, and two YMCAs (super nice ones) and again, see or cross path with only a handful of cars. Now, certainly, if I want traffic, there is some to be found but Wichita is very low density. Now as I say that, I have lived and motorcycled in Houston, Phoenix and Denver, Atlanta and New Orleans, so I understand heavy traffic, high traffic density.

I just need to ease back into this whole thing, me I can control and account for, the cagers, I need to account for and always have an out, getting my thinking back up to speed.

#29 ·
Going to work, I have to make an unprotected left off of Hwy. 101. Sometimes I'll dip into the oncoming lane to complete slowing down for the turn. Usually I just try to time it so I'm slowed enough to catch a gap in traffic to turn without coming to a stop. If traffic is heavier, I'll turn right onto a frontage road and make a loop. Doing that means I have to cross two lanes getting headed back the right direction, but I'm not a sitting duck out on the highway.

#30 ·
"Do or Do not"

"I would rather do the thing I fear and become good at it, so that when the time comes that I have to do it, it's no big deal." Yes, learn to swim at the deep end or get out of the water. This does not mean being foolish or "daring", it means learning to do the intuitive math of "cost vs. benefit, risk vs. reward". For example, I am into motorcyles, guns, martial arts, and renting property out. All of these choices involve risk vs. reward thought processes. They also require the building of a base of knowledge, skills, and a dose of common sense. My biggest risk,getting married and having 3 kids. For that, some would call me a real Dare-devil.

#32 ·
I have been there a few times and I enjoyed the ride on or in whatever I was driving! Interesting to note NJ is not big on left turns many of the roads have a left turn jug handle from the right lane.
Frankly I wouldn't want to make a left across route 17 either!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.