Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was off on Monday and was planning for a nice ride, but it ended up raining all day so I just did some basic maintenance and cleaning on both bikes. A couple of months back, I installed these auxiliary lights on the Kawasaki. Since I don't ride at night very often anymore, I purchased these as day time (see me coming) running lights, so that cage drivers can see me better. The first time I did a night ride with them, the wider field of view and more lit distance made a huge difference. Anyway, at the end of the evening while putting the bikes away, just for the hell of it I decided to do a side by side comparison with & without the auxiliary lights. The lights that I installed were RTD Super CREE LED lights that I purchased off of Amazon for around $70. The set included the switch and wiring harness. Each light is 20W 2000LM, the LED color temperature is Pure White 6000K-6500K. Since my street is lit, I did it in the back yard. I was 33 paces from the fence line (about 100 feet).

This image is self explanatory.

Left image is with the bikes low beam only without auxiliary lights...…...………………………………………..Right image is with the auxiliary lights.

Left image is with the bikes high beam only without auxiliary lights...…………………………………………….Right image is with the auxiliary lights.

Auxiliary lights only

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
That is why mine are on all the time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the lights are adjusted not to blind oncoming traffic then OK fine, but my experience in the popular motorcyclist area of the Smokey Mountains is most are not and do indeed hinder the on coming rider.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last time I installed auxiliary lights was 7 or 8 years ago on the Goldwing. They weren't LEDS and had a good spread on the width, but they didn't have the distance that the LED's have. I've had these lights on for a couple of months now, I can tell cage drivers see me coming. I have a lot less pull outs in front of me compared to the Guzzi that doesn't have auxiliary lights. Time for lights for that bike.

If the lights are adjusted not to blind oncoming traffic then OK fine, but my experience in the popular motorcyclist area of the Smokey Mountains is most are not and do indeed hinder the on coming rider.
I agree, that's why I have them aimed considerably lower than the low beam. In the first set of low beam photos (right photo), you can see the low beam hitting the fence and the big white spot on the ground just before you get to the leaning oak tree on the right. That white spot on the ground are where the LED's are aimed.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
Those look really good for the money.

I installed auxiliary riding lights 5 years ago. Because they are so bright at 3,200 lumens each I also installed a Skene controller so that i can control the intensity.

I have the controller on a 3 pole switch set so I can set them to off, 30% power or 50% power. I ride around at 30%. Going with the high beams automatically puts them to 100% power and 6,400 lumens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts