Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so what's the biggest repair you've done to your bike in the parking lot of AutoZone, Pep boys etc

So today I did a oil change on my Vespa and installed a USB charger port all there in the parking lot. I replaced a broken windshield mount and tighten down the windshield bracket which was the source of the rattling unbeknownst to me.

All this while waiting for a tire to come in tomorrow to Covington cycles. I discovered my cycle gear $29 toolkit didn't have metric Allen wrenches in it so I had to buy a set for 4.99 at The Zone.

Of course this doesn't compare to what I've done to cars in the parking lots of parts places including starter and alternator changes even dropping the driveshaft out of my (then) '64 GTO so they could press in some new U-joints. I recently helped a stranger pull off a blown out harmonic balancer by wedging a big long wrench under a frame member and cranking the motor when a (loaner) electric impact wrench didn't have enough uuumph!

I discovered a new trick. Have you ever put one more ring terminal on the battery post and been unable to get the screw to catch the captive nut on the battery? Well you can go in search of longer screws or you can stick a little piece of wadded up paper towel under the captive nut and do the job easy. It's so simple I'm slapping my forhead wondering why I didn't think of it before now instead of futilely trying to hold the captive nut up with a screwdriver

So what about you what repairs have you done in the parking lot of the local parts house or out on the road?

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Nothing more than wiper blades that failed on the road or headlight bulbs that burnt out while on a trip to Detroit at three in the morning...one at a time of course so I had to stop.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Did a valve job on my old Shadow 750 on the side of the road. Not quite a parking lot, but close enough lol. Also have replaced the brakes on bikes in the same location, as well as recently doing a handlebar swap.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Fixed a hole in a Goldwing radiator in a Pep Boys parking lot. 1 can of carb cleaner, 1 tube of epoxy plumber's putty, and 1 jug of premixed coolant. Got me home.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see a number of ZAMM award winning entries here....

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I removed the front wheel bearings on my motorcycle in an AutoZone parking lot. They had the pulling tool that was needed as a free loaner.

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts
Replaced a muffler on a car about 500 miles from home. Bottomed out over hill that the bottom dropped out of on the other side. Ripped muffler and tail pipe right off. Too darn far to go like that. They didn't have the tail pipe and 2 years later I sold it still missing that tail pipe. Rode around with windows down most of the time. Sounds stupid now.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The wadded up paper is not ZAMMY/ MacGuiver enough. You want something with some spring to it that will not lose its spring by getting wet and over time. A tiny piece of vinyl tube from AZ, the coffee stirrer thingy from Lowes, a straw from McDees, or a cigarette filter from the parking lot.:icon_cool:

While we are at it, the coffee stirrer thingy from Lowes has another use. Tape it to your can of carb cleaner and dent it flat a few places. Now you can store the red straw spray nozzle extension on the can handy as can be and not lose it.......

It was not me, but I saw a full size chevy van in a Harbor Freight/ Oreilles auto parts parking lot with the heads removed. An auto Tech who goes on mobile calls was having at it while the owner of the van [from Arizona] was traveling through Ohio on his way to a new job. Kids possessions and everything important was in that van filled to the brim.At least there was a chicken restaurant close by for the kids and all. The van owner found the service tech on the internet. The tech was all about getting this guy to his new job. Amazing.

I hope they got it done before dark due to the crime rate in the area.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Friends shifter lever had worked loose and the teeth where rounded to bad to get a bite. We where pretty far from the house.

I bought a drill bit, and borrowed a drill. Drilled a make shift key way, and broke the bit off in it.

Got him home.

We got a real good ACE hardware about 3 miles from the house. I have worked on several projects in the bed of my truck in their parking lot.

·
7,512 Posts
Flash!!!! A new TV series based upon the highly successful series, 'Trailer Park Boys,' will soon be into production and will be called: "Trailer Park Riders."

This exciting series will show motorcycle and scooter riders doing all kinds of exciting work on their vehicles right in PUBLIC!!!!! Parking lots at private businesses and retail stores will host the series.

The producers say that this is an excellent opportunity for those without homes or that live in trailer parks that don't allow maintenance work there to actually learn how to overhaul their Yugo, scooter, motorcycle or lawnmower, using someone else's parking lot or sidewalk and even the other persons tools!

This new series will soon be on NETFLIX along side 'Trailer park boys' and 'My name is Earl.'

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Flash!!!! A new TV series based upon the highly successful series, 'Trailer Park Boys,' will soon be into production and will be called: "Trailer Park Riders."

This exciting series will show motorcycle and scooter riders doing all kinds of exciting work on their vehicles right in PUBLIC!!!!! Parking lots at private businesses and retail stores will host the series.

The producers say that this is an excellent opportunity for those without homes or that live in trailer parks that don't allow maintenance work there to actually learn how to overhaul their Yugo, scooter, motorcycle or lawnmower, using someone else's parking lot or sidewalk and even the other persons tools!

This new series will soon be on NETFLIX along side 'Trailer park boys' and 'My name is Earl.'

Sam:coffeescreen:
I hope one of the networks pick it up, I don't have cable or broadband. :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts