Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. New to this forum. Now that I am older (30) and more responsible about driving. I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle, but disability has hindered that dream. (I have Holt-Oram syndrome which is a shoulder, arm and hand deformation. I have 3 fingers on my left and 4 on the right with a semi functional thumb) So having a clutch on a bike is out of the question. I drive a 6 speed manual car so I know I can do that. Well, last summer my brother brought over his automatic 90cc pit bike for me to try. It was awesome!! Never thought I would be able to do it. With recent research that I have done on the internet, I have noticed that there has been quite a few automatics out there. The one that I have my eye on is the CF Moto V3. Fully automatic. Just wanted to know what the experts think of that bike. Also, I am fairly short (5'01"). So having a low seat is also a must. Whatever bike I choose to get, can it be lowered like a car? Or have some hydrolics to lower when stopped? I also like the Ninja 250R alot. Can the CVT transmission from the CF Moto be put on the Ninja? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I can really only help out on one of your questions, yes the suspension on bikes can be lowered. It's pretty common and any dealer should be able to have it done, at a cost.

I wish you luck on your endeavor!

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is just my opinion, but specifically I think you're barking up the wrong tree expecting to build your own automatic motorcycle. The way I see it, you have a couple of options.

One of those options is the Ridley motorcycle. They are low to the ground, built cruiser style with a CVT automatic. Would be perfect for your shorter height, but if you're not into cruisers, you might not be interested (and you might not have the bread as I think they're pricey).

Another option you might consider is an old "Hondamatic". They came in 400, 450, and 750cc options. One of my earliest childhood memories is my dad taking me for a ride on a customer's Hondamatic CB 750. If I recall correctly it has a dual range selection made with a traditional foot lever, but no clutch required to switch ranges.

Most motorcycles can be lowered with a factory or aftermarket lowering kit.

The 400 and 450 Hondamatics are not especially rare, and they are not especially desirable. If you can find a nice low mileage well kept machine, you can probably take it home for less than $1200. They aren't especially tall, heavy, or powerful either, so perfect for a beginner rider.

L

·
0 Posts
Never Give Up… Never Surrender! ;-)

Afternoon Samm3d and welcome to the Forum!

I definitely hear ya’ Partner. I was diagnoised with MS (Multiple Scerosis) myself about 10 years ago. It’s definitely taken some of the steam outta’ me by now, but I ain’t through yet! Though I go everywhere with a cane now I can and still do manage to get onto a (more or less) ‘conventional’ bike (somehow). I figure when that’s no longer an option next it’s going to be a Trike (finances and remaining eyesight allowing).

From the way you describe your condition I swear it sounds like one of first somewhat older school bikers I ever came to know starting at 15 until I was in my early 20’s: He had the virtual same situation from birth – a result of mothers commonly taking doses of (?) ‘Selenium’ in the 40’s/50’s. Yet despite these hindrances this dude could ride (including Race!) bikes like nobody’s business, had a whole collection of classic scoots, and owned and ran his own bike shop (called ‘Great Outdoors’, Santa Barbara/Goleta, CA). HOW he managed to do this was absolutely fantastic to the rest of us. But to him it was ‘oh hum, business as usual’. Really sad I lost touch with him decades ago…. But I never forgot, IF he could ride a bike under those circumstances… then I got nothing to whine about!

Yeah, as Schneiderman said bikes, ANY bikes can be lowered including with (but not limited too) shorter shocks, sliding upwards and/or shorter fork tubes, lower profile tires, smaller diameter wheels, cut down seats and (drastic but…) kicking out the frame’s Neck angle a bit. Seriously though a (custom) Trike Conversion probably would be more feasible economically (food for thought).

Unfortunately your really going to be limited on Automatic Transmission bikes and just not feasible (unless you could find an engineering Genius somewhere?!) to take the integrated transmission / drive train of one and someway graft it onto another. I think that Goose (Moto-Guzzi) would be a wonderful choice. Others I recall are the Honda 750A (Hondamatic?) which was the original CB750 SOHC Four mated to an actual (?) Fluid Drive Transmission. Now the only IN current production Automatic equipped street bike I’m aware of is the Ridley being made in OKC, Oklahoma. You might check out there online website. That would be my personal recommendation. Rokon of course still makes Auto Tranny bikes, but just for Off-Road (and rather small displacement).

Keep us posted on your progress Partner, cool?!

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,705 Posts
Honda made a 400A also. Good luck on your bike search. There are some off brand automatic motorcycles out there. I don't know much about them but buy from a dealer, not off Ebay or whatnot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would add there are some bikes out there that are called *scooters* you might want to look at. The Yamaha Majesty (400cc) comes to mind as well as the Honda Silverwing (650cc). They are touted as "twist and go". I owned a Majesty last year and they are solid bikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good on you !
I like to see people not let things get in their way.
If what you need is an automatic then go find one.
Good luck on that.
Curious though, is 3 fingers on the left hand not enough strength to work the clutch and 4 on the right too difficult to use the brake ?
Id bet that you could condition those hands to handle it.
Dont let anything get in your way.
Im pulling for ya.

·
Registered
405 Posts
^^ I sat on a few of those, they feel great. However the mirrors bug me. First thing I did notice is NO CLUTCH! Just a push button to shift up or down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts