Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recording for a while now. Really struggle at keeping wind out of audio.

Anybody got recommendations how to quality record audio?

Im using this Sony device with a microfiber cloth windscreen in my trunk. I tried some audio tests of me blowing in the mic directly and the cloth didn't seem to make any difference even layered up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FWNSXJO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Anybody use deadcats? Ever tried blowing wind directly into a microphone that has a deadcat? Should wind still get in or no?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've had the same problem recording video during rides with my JVC action cam. The solution is to use an external mic that's tucked away out of the wind. My JVC video camera and the Go Pro camera has no external mic hook up, so any video from them will have wind noise. I've tried blocking the built-in mic with foam and a variety of different fabrics to no avail. One of my friends camera has the external mic port that he uses and you hear no wind and all motorcycle sound. Next camera will have external port for an external mic.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
It is supposed to stop just that kind of noise but if you blow directly into a mic from just less than an inch away like you normally test, sure, you will still get wind noise. Nothing is perfect but a deadcat is supposed to be the best. I do think we have some audio buffs here that might shed more light on these furry things.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've had the same problem recording video during rides with my JVC action cam. The solution is to use an external mic that's tucked away out of the wind. My JVC video camera and the Go Pro camera has no external mic hook up, so any video from them will have wind noise. I've tried blocking the built-in mic with foam and a variety of different fabrics to no avail. One of my friends camera has the external mic port that he uses and you hear no wind and all motorcycle sound. Next camera will have external port for an external mic.
I think I have the same JVC Camera - wind noise is a huge pain and there is nothing I can do about it. I completely agree with finding something with a mic port.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,601 Posts
Most motovloggers I've seen swear by the deadcat. Some even make their own with some type of fur cloth, one used pieces from an old stuffed animal wrapped around a couple times.
Sorry I don't have any personal experience to speak with...yet.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ordered a dead cat online yesterday as well as built one using cardboard outter shell and microfiber cloth inner padding. recorded some audio but havent checked it yet. yesterday i took a serious look at my cycle trunk. turns out it is wide open to air passing into it. i had no idea. i thought it was sealed off from the outside windflow. didnt see any other good mounting points. maybe some other guys have a fully closed off trunk.

my video prior was just the microfiber cloth. it actually did significantly help. made pretty good audio up to the very last few mph. then it whistled a bit too much. The deadcat box i built should have fixed the issue.

yesterday and today were my difficulty timed worked shifts so not rly able to look at results yet.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also may make a dead cat using a foam pillow if those other two options dont work. gonna cut foam and duct tape it to suppress wind sounds.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
audio turned out rly good with a cardboard box shell stuffed w a microfiber cloth. Ill pick up my deadcat tomorrow and try to get some audio on the way home from work. using only that. i may use the dead at over the cardboard box thing i made cus how nice it turned out.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
A dead cat is probably the most widely used, but the size of it is of most importance. The larger the better. The bigger the inside space will help very much in keeping out wind noise. Also no one talked about their mic. Mostly I use a long shotgun style mic. I've found the most expensive tend to be a bit too sensitive for me so I use a mid range mic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts