Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, you can call me LostinOstin because I live in Austin and getting lost is how how I explore and stay vigilant on the open (or severely crowded) road. I just completed my MSF course as of a week ago, picked up my license 6 days ago, and bought a 2003 Triumph Tiger 955i 3 days ago. I didn't have any experience on a land jet...hrm, excuse me...a motorcycle prior to the MSF course. "Holy ****balls" might be your first reaction, however my livelihood and my main mode of transportation for the past year and a half have been providing me with the survival skills required to operate a motorcycle in traffic. I make a living hauling 500+ lbs from point A to point B using only my legs, the machine I operate to get the job done is what's known as a pedicab (or rickshaw, but I prefer pedicab). I live aprox. 16 miles north of my livelihood and use a fixed gear road bike to get to work. I'm telling you this because these two activities I choose to indulge in have given me the radar that all motorcyclists are familiar with when riding in traffic.
Now for the questions; With the puny amount of riding experience I have under my belt (like 10 hrs), I've noticed how mentally exhausting riding a motorcycle can be. So much so that after about 20 minutes of night riding in traffic, I passed out because I used every ounce of energy I had for the level of attention required for said situation. So basically, I was wondering if I'm way in over my head? I think I made a good purchase because I figured I'll grow into the bike enabling me to enjoy my ride for years to come without having to constantly upgrade my bike to suit my level of confidence in operating a motorcycle. However, I'm looking forward to the critique that the more experienced riders have to offer. So veterans, give me your thoughts, opinions, advice, concerns, support, encouraging/discouraging comments on my current situation...I'm all ears. (I apologize for writing a novel for my introduction, I like to be punctual)
-Sincerely,
LostinOstin.
:D

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You are going to need some practice to feel more comfortable. Being alert is a good thing, but being tense can lead to target fixation, fatigue, or other bad results.

It's faulty logic to assume that the first motorcycle you buy will be the last one you ever own, or even a long-term purchase. (Unless something bad happens and/or you give up riding) Many new riders go out and buy a motorcycle thinking it is perfect for them without really knowing what it is they really want.

People who ride for the long term usually change up motorcycles as their needs change and experience grows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I ever said I plan on sticking with the Triumph Tiger for the rest of my life. You have to admit, it's a great bike that'll last me years to come as opposed to a bike with a smaller engine, which is what a lot of beginners get sucked into buying because of the massive amount of discouragement of buying anything bigger than a 600cc. Anyways, I just got done riding 430 miles today and did just fine. This ride included interstate riding, bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate, twisties, hairpin turns, and riding through small towns. I did just fine and had a blast. I made a conscious effort to loosen up and breathe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts