Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been awhile since I've visited the forums. I haven't been doing much riding since summer rolled around here in the desert (unlike most of the country, riding season for me is winter!). I've encountered quite a conundrum since moving here. My job requires professional dress (slacks, button up shirt, and a tie), and during the summer I've found that its simply too uncomfortable to ride in my normal gear, not to mention that arriving to work soaking wet from sweat isn't my idea of "professional." An no, bringing a change of clothes to work is not a viable option.

Ever since I started riding I've been an ATGATT kinda guy, with the exception of purpose-built pants. However, as I stand here looking at the thermometer and realizing that the bike has set practically all summer, I'm wondering if I should simply forego the riding jacket so I can actually ride. I will never, EVER consider riding without helmet or gloves, though.

Has anyone else been faced with this predicament?

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Yep. Did it for 20 years. Suit and tie under a pair of oversized coveralls. Winter was chaps and oversized textile jacket. Both seasons of course with helmet and gloves. This was in Cali so mornings was cooler generally than afternoons in summer so I could normally get to work without TOO much sweat. I had 4 different suits and it seemed 1 was always at the cleaners as I rotated through the others during the week.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
The suit didn't come out wrinkled?? And how long was the ride?
No worse than sitting at my desk all day long. I had 92 mile round trip daily commute. I may have had some kind of wrinkle free material in my suits but not sure. They were shot so don't have them anymore either to look. After you wear them for that long you won't ever want to see another one either.:D And remember, I said oversized coveralls. It was rather baggy.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I wear chaps over my dress pants & a textile jacket over the dress shirt. My office shoes stay @ work so I can ride with appropriate footwear. Worked OK for me :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Chaps and a summer mesh MC jacket in the hot weather. Heated liner and leather jacket in winter. Been doing it for the last 20 years or so During the hottest days her in DC I don't sweat going in but may going home, especially if the traffic is stopped here and there.

·
8,571 Posts
Take you car and arrive clean and looking good:biggrin:

Aside from a few of us who only have a motorcycle as their means of transportation, why take the bike if the weather or even projected weather is very hot or cold and if you have to wear nice clothes.

My bikes have always been recreational toys and I use common sense regarding when and when not to ride.

I normally ride with "dress clothes" on and gloves and helmet but in the summer, I can't stand having a "WET" head when I get to work from hair that is maybe 3 inches long so every spring, I go back to my very comfortable "Basic training" haircut.

I agree with EYE, don't crash and you wont need all of that ridiculous ATTTGATTT stuff. Ride carefully, watch others, watch road surfaces, be aware of your surroundings and don't ride faster or in conditions that you know you shouldn't. Ride Paranoid to stay alive.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Why isn't changing an option? Can't you compromise and carry a dress shirt and tie with you, while riding in a nice cool synthetic t shirt and light mesh jacket, the sweat dries right up with those shirts so they stay pretty cool. A quick change (even in the restroom if there is nowhere else) and you could be all spiffy looking and still riding with enough gear to be safe and feel safe.
Hey guys, its been awhile since I've visited the forums. I haven't been doing much riding since summer rolled around here in the desert (unlike most of the country, riding season for me is winter!). I've encountered quite a conundrum since moving here. My job requires professional dress (slacks, button up shirt, and a tie), and during the summer I've found that its simply too uncomfortable to ride in my normal gear, not to mention that arriving to work soaking wet from sweat isn't my idea of "professional." An no, bringing a change of clothes to work is not a viable option.

Ever since I started riding I've been an ATGATT kinda guy, with the exception of purpose-built pants. However, as I stand here looking at the thermometer and realizing that the bike has set practically all summer, I'm wondering if I should simply forego the riding jacket so I can actually ride. I will never, EVER consider riding without helmet or gloves, though.

Has anyone else been faced with this predicament?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I'm a some-of-the-gear most-of-the-time rider. I wear a helmet unless I am going a very short distance at only moderate speed because going faster or longer is far more comfortable for me than not wearing one (even with a windscreen). Gloves help offset the minor vibration in my handgrips. Boots are more comfortable for operating the gear shift. But that's it unless it is cold enough that t-shirt riding is uncomfortable. When I was working (how I love being retired now!) I kept a bag in my saddle bag or in my backpack when I didn't have bags, with work pants, shirt and shoes. There was always at least a rest room to go in to change, even when I was not going to my office but going to the corporate headquarters for meetings. Fortunately I rarely had to wear a suit jacket. On those rare occasions I would take the car instead of the bike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
:thumbsup: Amazing how simple things can really be.
Which is why coveralls worked so well for me. No bug splats. An as Eye said, don't crash.:D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Since you're ATGATT with the exception of...........

I guess you can go ahead and change that to

You're ATGATT with the exception of this and that

and ATGATT most of the time is not a thing

Well I'm ATGATT, its just my definition of ATG is different from everybody else, hell, my definition changes every time I go out the door.

·
Roamer
176 Posts
I keep a pair of black dress shoes and brown dress shoes at work, along with a belt of each color, and a few pairs of socks. I wear dress pants and button up shirt under my mesh pants and mesh jacket. If it's particularly humid, I will put the shirt in my backpack and just wear undershirt to work, then put the dress shirt on when I get there. I have fan at my desk to cool down if I arrive too hot. I also keep deodorant in my desk drawer.

You could always wear kneeguards over your dress pants if something like these Aerostitch khakis are not dressy enough.

As for upper body, you could wear something like the Dianese City Guard, Alpinestars Bionic, or Spidi Air armor over a t shirt or tank top. You'd have to put dress shirt on once you arrived.

You can buy some very nice motorcycle boots like these Stylemartins that look like normal dress shoes.

It's all very pricey, but it's an option.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you considered moister wicking clothing underneath you work clothes. I am in a similar situation as you altogether I change in to my clothes once I get to work. But I still wear my wicking short sleeve t-shirt under my riding gear. I do keep a pair of shoes (with foot powder) at work so I don't have to transport the back and forth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts