Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People ............
I r4ecently piked up a nice 1981 Honda CM200t Twinstar with but 7K miles on the clock. I have heard it run, but haven't ridden it yet. It wont run long enough to ride, but when it does run, it's smooth.

So, naturally, I took it apart. I may have found the problem, which is intermittent fuel delivery. I believe the PO rebuilt the carb and mis-assembled the choke. Pointed out in the attached picture of the carb are the three pieces in question - the choke return spring, the cable bracket and the black plastic choke lever.

I cannot reassemble them in any order in which the spring actually does something. The end of the spring with the hook obviously hooks on the cable bracket mounting screw boss. But I'm at a loss to figure out how the short end of the spring hooks on anything. It should hook into the backside of the black plastic choke lever, I think.

Also, when pressed down (by the spring?), the choke lever opens the choke butterfly, but when it is up, there is nothing to close the butterfly except gravity. While reliable, gravity ain't gonna close the choke positively.

Can someone straighten out my reasoning here? I gotta be missing something.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I have the Clymer manual on order and that I have done searches in the How To forum, with no hits on the subject. I've been twisting screws on bikes for over 60 years and I'm now at the age where I have to keep re-learning things. This is one of them I guess. Another is how to edit my post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would this help any?

Afraid not. I have that and have assembled it with all the parts oriented as shown, but the spring is still ineffective. It's just drifting on one end. Nothing is broken and no parts are missing.

This picture shows the other end of the spring, as it looks when assembled. Note how the spring is canted on the shaft. It doesn't look that way on a picture of a new (Chinese) carb, but the end of the spring is still unsecured. All I'm sure of is that this spring, as I've assembled it, does nothing. Also. when the carb is installed on the bike, the choke closes when the cable is pulled to the on position. When pushed to the off position, nothing but gravity or airflow opens the choke butterfly.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactomundo! There is such a notch, but there is no way to fir that end of the spring in the notch and also hook the other end of the spring over the cable bracket screw boss. I've tried a hunnert different ways. And then I see the picture of the new carb which appears the spring end is also detached. A bit of sick irony, here. I ordered and received that exact same new carb but returned it because the throttle cable housing was straight instead of having a 90° bend. I could have examined the fit and function of the choke assembly while it was in my wrinkled mitts! The choke wasn't an issue at that time.

I'm trying to restore it to original condition. New seat was first. Polished the chrome, no pits, rust or dents. Even the clutch and brake levers look like it's never been dropped. This whole project started when I noticed last moth that the plate on my 2014 Yamaha V-twin expired last July when I was in the hospital with a couple of strokes. I didn't want to renew them when they would expire again in a few weeks, yet cost me for the full year. Then I spotted this Honda and bought collector plates for it. Never expire! Now it looks like it wont be running until July anyway. But it has been fun.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rich (Cap'n)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts