Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though the riding season is winding down for sure around here, today was a beautiful clear and mild day (but there was a pretty strong wind all afternoon). Went with my wife for about a 50 mile ride to a great place for lunch, then took a longer way back for about a total of 130 miles and (counting lunch) about 4.5 hours. It looked like every person with a bike in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin was out riding today, and anyone who wasn't might just have missed the best day we will likely see until the spring.

When I filled up after the ride I wondered when the "winter blend" starts to be sold at filling stations. I assume it hasn't begun yet since I am still getting about 42 mpg, the same as I was getting all summer.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have already gotten 2 tankfuls of winter blend. Around here it comes along in mid-October.
The weather is looking up for the next couple of days so we are considering a ride to Paris for lunch. There is a nice mom and pop diner there and it is about 1 1/2 hours each way from here.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
End of season.

They do not switch fuel out here on the left coast. So the inland truckers do not fill up out here.
As the winter gets closer, I park the Sport bike, bolt the side car to the big Yamaha for occasional use, and ride the small 400 Yami.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rode home work today about 9PM and it was cold, mid 30°Fs. It wasn't too bad with the leather jacket and wind-blocking long johns, but the hands got frosty. Yes, tomorrow is supposed to be nice and Monday too, though it looks like rain in the evening. Got to get in all those rides before it's too late.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We went for an awesome ride yesterday about 300km worth. The weather guy said the day high would only be about 13-14C and a chance of rain around the middle of the day.,, grr!!!

We decided to head out anyway despite the heavy clouds. And hour into the ride the forecast said "brief rain" was imminent, so we stopped for break-lunch to let the weather resolve itself, and thank GOODNESS we did! By the end of our meal it was still a bit cloudy were we were, and as we continued riding our intended course all the roads ahead were SOAKED with rain. In fact about 80% of the roads ahead were all soaking wet yet we didn't get rained on at all LOL it was as if were were chasing a departing storm. If we didn't stop for a bite when we did, we would have been IN the storm the whole time.

At the end of the day we had a nice dry awesome ride, probably that last significant ride of the season.

·
10,763 Posts
Winter blend for me means every time I fill up I add more Seafoam to the tank. You never know when the snow will fall and the season will be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts