Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I bought my first bike today--a Buell Blast; and, I must say, it is a BLAST!

I purchased a helmet, gloves and boots. I would like to buy upper body protection and leg protection. I am considering going one of two ways:

1) Buy a leather riding jacket, like a Joe Rocket Leather, and that's it for the upper body. And then buy leather motorcycle pants (with the armor attached) for the legs; or

2) Buy armor only for my upper body. (I forgot the brand name, but it has shoulder, upper arm, forearm, chest and back protection with a velcro strap around the waist that keeps it on right.) Buy only solid knee pads for my legs. If I choose this route, I would wear just regular leather clothes, not necessarily motorcycle gear specifically, over the armor.

At this time, I am kind of leaning towards number two because it is cheaper than getting motorcycle leathers, and I think it would provide me BETTER protection than getting the motorcycle leathers, and because going the armor way seems more versatile in that I can wear my armor and then different things over it depending on the weather and how far I am going, etc. If I am just going around the corner to drop off a video, I might just wear the armor under a shirt, for example.

What do you think? What is the better protection for going around the streets for a newbie? For now, I will just practice in parking lots, then move up to my neighborhood, then longer street trips, then the freeway. I MIGHT take it out to track days, but that is in the distant future.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If you remember what that armor is, let me know so I can check it out.

I can understand the desire for a sort of universal armor that would let you wear other stuff on top. I have a set of Icon leg armor that does the same sort of thing. The knee armor in a lot of pants is really lacking, in one pair of pants I got it was really useless. The Icon leg armor gives good all around protection for the whole lower leg and knee, my only concern is whether it will stay in place in a crash.

If the body armor you have in mind is well designed it might be a good choice for you, assuming it does the job as advertised it should be a good substitute for an armored jacket.

I don't think you're talking about the Icon chest armor, if you are I will say that I don't think it's worth the price. The only real substantial protection it offers is for the back, and any real jacket will have equal or better back protection. Still, if you were the kind of guy that likes to ride in a t-shirt, it'd be better than nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
armor brand

The armor I am thinking of buying is EVS. There was also a Forcefield there, but it was a bit more pricey.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I couldn't find a whole lot about EVS but from what I did find, their stuff looks effective and reasonably priced. I'd like to try it out myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed

I agree with you. And based partly on what you were saying; namely, that the armor on some pants are ineffective, I think I will go with armor and then non-motorcycle leather pants and jacket on top.

Where can I buy leather pants?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video

That was a great video--informative and entertaining. But I guess now I am a little confused. You say to go with leather with armor, but in your video your hard deck is armor.

I was thinking of making my hard deck a helmet, gloves, boots and armors on both the upper body and lower body. On top of the armor I would wear leathers...BUT just not motorcycle leather. It seems to me that motorcycle jackets with armor, even Joe Rockets, are not as good as a good set of armor and then a regular leather jacket on top of that. The same goes for pants.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
impact gear

Hello CaptCrashIdaho.

What is the name of your full impact gear (for the upper body) that you show in your video? I think you said it was a Thor.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
In the vid it's a Thor Impact. I just switched to a SixSixOne Comp suit, which has a kidney belt.

As far as the hard deck, my hard deck is armor. If I'm going gangbusters I'll wear armor and then Leather over the top.

I like armored jackets because you get the best of both worlds without 2 garments...make sense?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You're looking to protect against 2 things:

Impact & Abrasion

A jacket with armor in it is a great option.

My 2 bits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gxuff1ffxA
that was the greatest MC'ing learning vid I've EVER seen on the internet! Entertaining, Informational, and intriguing!

Are you a MSF instructor? you'd be great as one! I definitely subscribed to that video! and will defnitely share with fellow riders!

GREAT!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
that was the greatest MC'ing learning vid I've EVER seen on the internet! Entertaining, Informational, and intriguing!

Are you a MSF instructor? you'd be great as one! I definitely subscribed to that video! and will defnitely share with fellow riders!

GREAT!!!
Thanks! We aim to please!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts