Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once again I set out across the country knowing that Arkansas would be the highlight of the ride. And it didn't disappoint.

Usually I head north into the Ozarks for twisty two-lanes and fall foilage, this time I went south.

From Fort Smith I headed down to Greenwood, where I picked up 10 which I took all the way to Conway. (blue line on map above is incorrect, I went through Perry/Perryville to Houston) From Conway it was 64 to Searcy, up to Bald Knob, and over to Memphis.

Aside from the 8, yes, eight troopships with radar between Bald Knob and Memphis, apparently running some sort of a blitz, this is a fantastic way to get across Arkansas. 100 miles more than taking I-40 and a helluva lot more interesting.

State 10, through Booneville, Magazine, Waveland, Havana, Ola, Casa, Perry, Perryville is a fantastic two lane with farms, fields, small towns, old barns, horses, a real step back in time. I'll add some pictures in a follow-on post.

64 from Conway to Searcy is a great way to bypass Little Rock and rush hour traffic. It's 4-lane about 1/2 of the way, plenty of fuel stops, and not quite as fast as the Interstate but you can move along.

Bald Knob to Marion, well, soybean fields, and apparently a whole lotta cops out generating revenue, respect or something, as one could quite safely do 90mph through this big pile of mostly nothing. A few towns to slow down for.

A few perpetual yard sales:

Good pavement throughout this route. Unbelievably beautiful scenery, old buildings, etc. The prettiest (abandoned) church I've ever seen.

Interstate 40, like all the rest, offers a view of some dystopic future, with the same six chain restaurants at every exit serving tasteless protein products that might as well have been cooked up in a test tube. Drones, replaceable, uncaring employees man most of these joints. You don't sit down and talk with locals like you do at any diner on 10, and come away feeling like you've actually BEEN somewhere. Nobody's interested in talking to you about your bike at the Flying J truck stop.

The road trip is about more than just getting A to B as rapidly as possible, an that's just about ALL the interstates are good for.

I'm gonna call this route the "Faded Glory" route because of all the old barns, falling down houses, closed businesses, even churches along the route. It's a picture of America 40 years ago that hasn't been sanitized, erased, bulldozed, and replaced with a Family Dollar and a Subway restaurant. There's still enough there, enough alive, diners, even a roadhouse or two, to make it worthwhile even aside from the twisty asphalt.

Or you can take I-40 (and avoid the Church of Reason)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Looks like some Good Country to check out am sure have done some of it without paying too much attention .. Usually I concentrate farther north except when visiting Son and Family in Glenwood ( 30 West of Hot Springs )

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://www.bikesbluesandbbq.org/

Next year, if ya happen to go in September, consider taking in Bikes Blues and BBQ up in Fayetteville. Just LOOK at everything Progressive is doing to get your MC insurance business:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice write up! Thanks!

I finally discovered what Arkansas has to offer this past August. Gotta go back soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts