Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you count yourself among the fans of the IOMTT.....the fastest street race in the world? With lap speeds of (now) over 200 MPH, this is the fastest race ever on closed-circuit public roads. Me; I can't get enough of it. It blows my mind to think of a fox or badger ambling across the road in front of a rider!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I just discovered it, and l can't get enough! I have only seen what is available on Youtube though...do they have a lot of coverage on this type of racing on the Speed channel?

I think in the next couple of years l am going to head overseas and go watch the races. It has to be breathtaking

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It's interesting and educational, to watch motorcycle racing from the point of view of learning what a driver and bike can take, before complete collapse.

I watch Indy for that reason, as opposed to NASCAR.....you see the latest in Prototype equipment, being tested to its limits, at VERY high speeds.

Obviously, whether bike mods or Indy, SOME of those "new" ideas eventually make it our the bikes and cars that are sold later on.

In one video about the topic that I was watching just now, it seemed absolutely CRAZY that the fans were allowed so CLOSE to the bikes as they raced past! If any of them were hit by the bike, it would be a MESS!!

Let's go BACK a few years.........at this race:

-Soupy

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Isn't it time they renamed it the:

"Isle of Go-Fast"
"Isle of Wipe-Out"
"Isle of Insanity'
"Cleanup on Aisle Eleven.."

·
Super Moderator
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't it time they renamed it the:

"Isle of Go-Fast"
"Isle of Wipe-Out"
"Isle of Insanity'
"Cleanup on Aisle Eleven.."
Not really. They really oughta call it "Last of the Conquistadors" or "Biggest Brass Balls Blowout", 'cuz that's what it is.
What they are doing is akin to racing Indy on the tollway. I don't care how much prep time you spend; those are still public roads with oil spills, loose gravel, frost heave and the ever-distinct possibility of errant wildlife taking a stroll in your path. Which is why I think these guys really, seriously risk it all when they race.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
It's much better to watch on television. You don't usually get to see much of the race standing on the sideline. Just one little area.
Have you been over to see it Dodsfall? I would love to talk to someone who has. I think l am even more excited to see the sidecar racing than the single bikes. It has the feel of bobsledding to me when l watch it.

FWIW, my girlfriend is a total world traveler, while l haven't been many places. She has a map of the world with a pin in every place she has gone to, and it looks like a friggin porcupine. We have talked about going to the UK, and just doing it at the same time so we can hop over and check out the races. I probably wouldn't go for 3 weeks just for the event.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,884 Posts
Love Watching the Isle of Mann .. The Best of the Best ..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
brass balls alright :)
glad I'm older, and just sensible enough not to wreck my body at this stage.

I have never seen it on live TV.
when is it on, and who screens it??

dT

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I believe it takes place between late May-early June. I'm not sure what the format is, if there is racing every day during that time? Maybe Buellosaurus or Dodsfall can answer that.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
This past year it was broadcast on Velocity? I think? Or one of those secondary sports channels you get on Directv.

It is early summer, so Aug-Sep is not the best time of year to get excited about the TT. We have a long wait till the 2015 race. Go Guy!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Michael Dunlop is going to steal the spotlight from now on. He is also in British Super Bike. Same with James Hillier. They are better as Mann racers, but it's nice to cheer them on in circuit races too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that Isle of Man looks so dangerous. If you ask me and I know your not I like a little more room to crash. The truth is it's not the speed that kills you it's that sudden stop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Big fan of the Isle of Man TT. There's a film called 'Closer to the Edge'. It's one of the best on motorcycle racing you can get.

And about the danger: I remember Ben Bostrom (AMA/WSBK) being interviewed and saying 'if I die doing this at least I die doing what I love'. That pretty much sums it up. :thumbsup:

To each their own.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Iom

Lap speeds are not 200.
The fastest lap speed average is just over 130. Straight line speeds are approaching 200.
I was there in 71, have ridden around the course. Had an ex bike in the 71 race. Was planning on going back in 011, but it did not happen.
But we will be there again.

I missed meeting Agostini in Lewis Leathers in London by one day.
Alex George rode my ex K1R. It blew a piston.
The road is bumpy enough to crack 250 Yamaha GP bikes. Never happens on regular tracks. It is a defensive style of riding and different to the tracks. The style we all need to learn for street riding.

Had a new 71 750 Norton Commando with me. It was a piece of junk, with a few good pieces. Handled awful, and did not go as fast as advertised. Nerly crashed the stupid thing on the rail way tracks in DT Liverpool. Ferry ride was as rough as guts and most of the bikers were sickly. I had the bar mostly to myself.
Bought a Barbour jacket and still have it.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 58 Posts