Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, looking at these pics that I just took, how bad do these sprockets look? I'm planning in replace the chain by my self, I know that's recommended changing the sprockets as well, but they don't really look bad, can I put the new chain and change the sprockets on the next chain replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
The front sprocket is slightly 'hooked' and the rear sprocket is very worn. Good chains
are expensive and sprockets are relatively cheap, particularly when bought as part of a set.

There seems to be a lot of metal particles on the chain and under the sprocket cover.

I would replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

I find the chain and rear sprockets last a long time. The JT front sprockets that are
cheap and readily available around here will only last around 10-12 thousand miles.
I replace the front sprocket at the first signs of wear. I get through 2-3 front sprockets
before there is any sign of wear on a DID 530 VX chain.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I found a new chain would last longer if I replaced the sprockets too. The rear here is well worn.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because im in a hurry, will buy a cheap chain only and immediately install it, and service the whole thing later, I just studied how to install a chain, not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Because im in a hurry, will buy a cheap chain only and immediately install it, and service the whole thing later, I just studied how to install a chain, not a big deal.
Cheap chains usually have joining links, but you will need a chain breaker. Cheap chains also come in 10 or 12 foot lengths.
It depends how cheap you want to go.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
A cheap chain can cost you ... an engine case.

DID, and other chain makers, publish recommendations for the chain a machine needs depending on displacement/horsepower.

Nothing wrong with taking their advice.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
The OP did not say what he was riding.
Slum and I have used industrial chain on the smaller bikes.
I only use the good stuff on my bigger bikes. I think he meant the cheapest of the approved chain, not the stuff farmers use on the manure spreader, and other equipment. The manure spreader is about the most fun you can have with rotating parts, spiral gears, chains turning with home made tensioners, and **** flying.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
OP has posted before and asked for advise only to ignore it and do what he wanted to anyway. A post about plugging a tire comes to mind. I would save my breath and advise for someone who might use it.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
OP has posted before and asked for advise only to ignore it and do what he wanted to anyway. A post about plugging a tire comes to mind. I would save my breath and advise for someone who might use it.
Dang you got a memory. Don't you have anything else to do?:devil: I remember it now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Dang you got a memory. Don't you have anything else to do?
I remember it now.
I remember this guy, he was like alienated, obsessed, specially when I said I had no money for doing the best movement, then he started a stalk, replying another posts and sending messages that only wanted to disturb, annoy, bully!

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
I also remembered at the time I made post 7. The bike is a Yamaha FZ1. (1000cc / ~140 HP).
Even if the OP doesn't use the free, good information provided others may appreciate it when they see this thread. :wink2:

BTW, Critter ain't a bully.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I mean this as constructive criticism, i.e. not in a mean-spirited way.

Okay, so you've been here long enough to know how most posters are going to respond. Either take their experience for what you think it's worth and be happy they are trying to help or... just don't ask if you don't want to know...

Using myself as an example - I put a short pipe on my CBR because I really like how it sounds. I know it removes a few hp and I know most guys on the CBR forum recommend not using them, so I didn't ask what they thought because I knew what they would say. Asking for someone's opinion means you should be open to listening to what their opinion actually is. That is all.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I sure hope this thread won't be another that goes south. Maybe those posting need to count ten. I think your post Doc is still trying to help as is Semi's. Hope they all are like this.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Dang you got a memory. Don't you have anything else to do?:devil: I remember it now.
Somethings just stick with me, some just stick in my craw.

So I am a stalker am I? I went back and checked the thread cause it kind of peed me off. Anyone can do the same here:

https://www.motorcycleforum.com/59-motorcycle-repair/230250-can-i-plug-tire.html

88 some odd posts in that thread. 5 of them mine.

Post #3
You can patch but don't recommend it.
Post #3 7
Your patch blew out after 8 days, asked if you were patching again or replacing the tire
Post #52
Suggested you get your affairs in order before riding again
Post #69
Off topic, thanked OZ for catching the good news about slumlord
Post #78
Off topic again, congratulation Slumlord on the video he posted

So there you go really stalking you aren't I? Next time check your facts before you talk out your @$$. Have a great day.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
But were there any site rule violations? None that I saw. Just questionable post with reason to just ignore more than anything else. Am I missing something?

Maybe the thread just needs to be closed???

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
The last chain/sprocket malfunction I had it punched through the side cover and locked my rear wheel suddenly - it was exciting and expensive.

At least flip your front sprocket if possible. Your rear sprocket is completely shot.

These guys are just trying to help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well will buy a whole set instead, Im willing to spend around $100 on this, it really surprised me to read about how supossedly bad the sprockets are, I have my doubts about them having a little more of life span, not being the best if doing it I know, but it wont hurt if doing it, could not believe how much these guys of the bike shop charges for doing it them, around $400, will do it myself for no more than $130, Im not an expert but in the past I had done break and carb rebuilds, after watching a youtube video definitely feel like I can do the needed job.

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
He reminds me of a lot people these days. They only want advice that backs up their own thinking. An inexpensive chain is just that, a quick cheap fix for a bigger problem down the rode.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way, somebody mentioned that a bad chain can damage the engine case, that was my case, I got my fz1 used condition, and the repairs I had to do it, one was patching one area impacted by a broken chain, so it was leaking I dont remember if oil or coolant, the guy at the shop just mentioned that and he did the patching, it looked pretty damn patched to me, wondering if the bike had to go at a very high speed to do that damage, thanks everybody and sorry the person I called stalker, his activity and support here sure its impressive.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts