Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a new MG so I would like some advice on whether the late model Gootzie's (2010 thru 2015) are more reliable than their predecessors that have been historically a pain in the rear until SORTED OUT and all problems resolved.

I peruse the Gootzie forums and all I read about is about their flawed build etc.

I still want one though so what say you??

Of the 77 bikes I've owned since 1962, only one stranded me and it was a 3 week old, brand new 1987 BMW R65 that apparently had to be kept plugged into a battery tender all of the time when not ridden regularly. After it stranded me in the middle of the desert, I sold it within a few days.

I don't feel that an owner should have to sort out problems, especially on a new bike.

Thanks for any answers.

Sam:)

·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MGrider, thanks so much for your reply to my query!

I have actually read quite a bit about your travels, before this time and your web site is superb.

I'm going to read it again before I ask some more questions.

I currently have a new, 2012 Goldwing, a 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter and a 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS scooter but due to age and health concerns, I want to sell the GW and get something lighter.

I like the new 2014-15 V7 standard.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks, glad you liked it.
I also like the V7, especially the 22 ltr tank.
Doing the ET highway, the Breva 750 arrived in Tonopah, on fumes.
The V 7 would still have a few liters left.
The only negative, that I have heard on the V7, was from a large chap, who felt the bike was too small ,for him.
Take Care Out There

·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ed!!

I was seriously looking to buy a 2015 V7 because of the 6 speed and I like the large tank. I like the V9 also but the tank is much smaller.

I love Moto Guzzi and I have always wanted one but almost everyone I talk to about them says to beware for many reasons.

My nearest dealer is 150 miles away so that gives me pause also.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
No longer than you keep a bike you should be okay Porky. Regardless of how undependable they are:D

·
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hog, with Moto Guzzi, the opposite is true: They are unreliable immediately, usually and then the owner and dealer must sort out the problems and then they become reliable. It's the opposite of normal and the Guzzi websites will back my statement up.

I like their entire line but I won't put up with problems of any kind, whether Dealer setup or factory quality control issues----not me!

Only 2 bikes out of 79 gave me any trouble whatsoever: A new 1979 Honda CX 500 with a very small final drive drip that was fixed while I waited and a new 1987 BMW R65 that stranded me because according to the Dealer, a BMW must be ridden often or have a trickle charger hooked up at all times! The little Beemer was 2 weeks old when it got das boot:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts