Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has actually slid along the asphalt in a "Summer" mesh jacket, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix.

You know, all mesh, but plastic shoulder / elbow pads, spine guard, etc?

Do these things actually offer any useful protection, or is it all wishful thinking compared to a heavy ballistic or leather jacket?

got any pictures?

I don't want to spend $170 if the jacket's actually not going to save me some skin.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The pads can take a beating pretty good. It's better them, then your skin.....I've had them in my leather jacket and you really can't tell they are there. I had to take out the elbow pads for casual wear as that was the only thing that bothered me. If you go down, you may mess up the mesh part, but you'd mess up leather too.

This winter I'm bound and determined to ride a sled down a hill near my house. It's a mile almost straight down. Well maybe not straight down, but pretty darn close. One of those hills that if you don't gun it at the bottom, you will not make it to the top in snow.
I'm lining my butt with those pads.......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I hope armored mesh jackets aren't just an advertising gimic, as I picked one up just recently and am a "surprised convert" to the idea. For way too many years I've admittedly rode too many 'hot day' miles wearing just a T shirt up top because my full leather jacket would have me melting.

I've found that wearing the mesh jacket is actually COOLER than wearing just a T, and have sort-of believed the advertising the elblow/back armor is gonna help me if the ride goes bad..

Mine is a Joe Rocket jacket too, and no I don't know of any "real life" success stories. I don't know any dismal failure stories either though! ;)

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I used to line my butt with old newspapers before getting a whipping.

Todays kids probably 3D print butt guards....
Yeah, that worked for me until my dad got wise to it. Then the Holy Hell beating started...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just my take, but it worked for me. I was the victim of a left turn cager a couple of years ago. I was wearing a t-shirt and a Firstgear adventure mesh jacket very similar to this: (sorry, can't post links yet, Google it) . I went down and slid probably 50-60 feet across the intersection. The jacket was torn or otherwise worn pretty bad, non repairable, but the only road rash i suffered is where the jacket rode up on my side and my skin was exposed directly to the road. (in fact I own the jacket in the link, they quit making the one I went down in. This is probably the replacement for that model.) Anyway, my faith in mesh went up that day, but of course, ymmv...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mesh

A good mesh jacket does work. My wife has been down twice in the last 3 years. The 1st accident was an end over end at 55 mph. She walked away with a small abrasion on her shin.(she also wears mesh pants). The second accident she was hit from behind and slide down the highway. Again, she had a small scratch on her forearm. Do they protect against road rash? Yes.

With that said, no jacket is going to protect you from impact injuries.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Who here has actually slid along the asphalt in a "Summer" mesh jacket, like the Joe Rocket Phoenix.

You know, all mesh, but plastic shoulder / elbow pads, spine guard, etc?

Do these things actually offer any useful protection, or is it all wishful thinking compared to a heavy ballistic or leather jacket?

got any pictures?

I don't want to spend $170 if the jacket's actually not going to save me some skin.
I hope I never find out, but I do wear a mesh jacket in the summer. IMO, anything is better than a T shirt as far as skid protection. It may not be as protective as leather or non-mesh, but I'm not couldn't stand the heat then. A lot of people have asked me if I'm not sweltering in my mesh jacket, but IMO it is actually cooler than a T shirt alone as long as I'm moving.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mesh is fine, as long as you arent riding at race speeds. IMO, for street riding, mesh provides acceptable levels of protection and Id take a quality mesh over a cheap leather jacket.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mesh is better than nothing. My instructor told us in my BRC that concrete loves skin. Guess what? I believe him.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have actually slid across the pavement wearing a Firstgear Rush model mesh jacket. It was a basic lowside at roughly 50 MPH. The right sleeve was ripped up but there was no damage to myself. I can't speak to the protection capabilities of any of the other brands, but I would feel that any quality brand would do well.
As far as my "review" of my own experience, I ordered another Firstgear Rush jacket the next day. The mesh jackets are a "one and done" thing in terms of taking damage, but well worth purchasing for what they do for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In 2008, my wife and I hit a deer in Michigan at about 55mph..... damned thing put us down in a long sliding fall.... I remember hearing all the plastic breaking (Honda Goldwing 1500) and thinking, "Damn, this is gonna be expensive!" And then it was lights out. Four broken ribs, a concussion, and a punctured lung for me; and my wife had a concussion and almost lost her left hand (put it down instinctively to hold up that 850 pound motorcycle). We spent five days in the hospital..... but healed all up eventually.

When we went down, we were both wearing First Gear mesh jackets, Kevlar jeans and G-Max helmets (which saved our lives)..... while we had extensive trauma injuries, we had no road rash at all from the long slide, none. Our jackets were nearly worn through in places, but they remained intact and protected us from possible skin grafts...... After getting out of the hospital, I immediately replaced both jackets, and then bought mesh trousers. It's all we wear, and we tour 15-20K a year.... we have a layering system of rain gear, fleece, etc., which we use over and under the mesh, but the mesh is our foundation. In our minds, anyway, mesh riding gear is not a waste of time.

An after thought: In really, really hot weather, we will soak our t-shirts in cold water, like the run-off from the cooler on our motorcycle camper (!), and wear them under the mesh.... if the humidity isn't too high, it works like an evaporative air cooler and will keep you astonishingly comfortable at 100 plus degrees.....just sayin'......

·
Registered
66 Posts
I weren't down at about 25 mph wearing a built mesh jacket. It was a cheaper model but it did work to stop the road rash an the armor did help. I did bruise but no rash. I am now going to step up to a little higher end one just for the bells an whistles. I will say it will keep you cooler then a say t shirt. The sun can cook you skin. Yes, I would recommend wearing one.

·
All I remember is Dirt Sky Dirt Ambulance....
640 Posts
I went down in a ditch - high side. 7 ribs, collapsed lung, broken collarbone and head and neck injuries, but no rash in my rush mesh. I have another one.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went down last month in a Tourmaster Flex Series 2. It was almost 100 degrees and had it broken down. But it wasn't the mesh portion of the jacket that took all the damage. It was the material on the shoulder, elbow and hip. If its the same material as the shell then its called 600 denier Carbolex®. Had holes in it at only 25-30 mph fall/slide. Glad it had the CE approved armor. I'm gonna try leather next. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad decision. Got the Joe Rocket Super Ego Leather Hybrid. Be here next Thursday. Hopefully my MC will be fixed and out of the shop by then. Should be. Ordered the parts last Friday.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
At the risk of being redundant, I'll just say that I like protection, ANYTIME I ride. What you choose for the type of protection, is "buyer beware."

I have a mesh jacket (Bilt) that has multiple layers (including a zip-out liner) and lots of breathability. It has pads in the shoulders (I'm STILL trying to figure THAT one out, because I'd think I would land on my arms more than the tops of my shoulders) and in the elbows.

They don't cost all that much. I think I paid $100.00 for mine, on Sale at Cycle World. It's about as close to a "Power Ranger" outfit as I'm willing to go.

I have "leather" for the rest of the riding season (the jacket, not just a "vest").

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I sure hope it is not advertising hype. I have a Joe Rocket mesh with the armor at critical points and expect it to perform if I ever go down while I have it on. I don't care if the mesh itself survives.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have had great use, since 2008 ? of First Gear Meshtex.
Ok its just about clapped out now, but hopefully it will last another season.
Beware one thing !
Do not get fooled by the armor in a mesh jacket !
You might have to remove sleeve armor!
I wear Strap On, forearm and elbow protectors, as well as knee & shin.
(mine are Dianese.)
Because, the nylon mesh will melt away, in any kind of slide.
That, will allow the armor to slide round and flap in the breeze, while YOU wear away SKIN & BONE as you merrily slide along.

As previously stated, it does not matter what you wear, if you hit something hard. Then bits inside, break or get amputated !

On a different note, but still on "Nylon" Jackets. Having sailed a lot of ocean miles, I do know how fast the sun can destroy the integrity of Polypropylene & similar man made ropes, So ideally, a Man Made Fibre Jacket should probably be changed every 5 yrs or so.

Ok this was in a Moto Mod Suit, not mesh.
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=97227
Take Care Out There

1 - 20 of 70 Posts