Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In 2013 I was seeing a lot of scooters on the roads in my area, mostly the smaller displacement (up to 50cc) that don't require a license, tags or wearing a helmet. This past year, 2014 not so many. I had heard somewhere they can be a way to get around the loss of a license due to DWI, and that my state(Maryland) closed that loophole because of the number of people that rode through it. I live in a mostly rural area with roads of less than fifty MPH speed limits so vehicles like that are legal on most roads. My question is what are the laws in your area? Are scooters a way to get around the loss of a license?

Charlie Tango Xray
I dont know about the DWI laws, but scooter use here in the Chicago area peaked a few years ago with the high fuel prices. I mean they were everywhere. Then it declined again when fuel prices dropped.

American Legion Rider
My father-in-law used a horse to get around it. But yeah, I'd use a scooter if I was in that boat. Especially if I was not retired. You do what you got to do. Or I guess you could do what far too many are doing and just get welfare and drink any time.

Registered
Better check your State Laws on what constitutes a motor vehicle, Up here in New York we have had people get DWI's on riding lawnmowers and farm tractors

Greatest Member Ever
Here in Hawaii bikes that are 49cc are classified as mopeds and only require a permanent bicycle license sticker. Anything larger then 49cc is classified as a scooter and is registered like a motorcycle. Both mopeds and scooters require the operator to be licensed with a minimum of a drivers license. Can't beat a DUI wrap here by riding a moped or scooter...

Driftless Rider
In Wisconsin, moped/scooters (<49cc) still require a normal drivers license. So, no luck there if you lose your license.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts