Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a v twin 750 86 intruder; I noticed there is a small arc jumping from the spark plug to the head I was wondering wtf is going on!!! Bad ground? As well the battery is brand new and not barley holding 14v. It barley starts after sitting for a day. Just trying to take advantage of the few rideable days we have left in the tropical arctics here in northeastern ohio! Any imput would be greatly appreciated

·
Very Famous Person
9,807 Posts
--

If the spark is along the spark plug wire, then you need to replace them with new ones. If the spark is from the body of the plug, then you need to have wires with insulated covers that completely cover the plug. Or you have a cracked ceramic part of the plug and new plugs are needed which are pretty cheap.

You may well have the original plug wires and they're getting old.

Someone else can chime in on battery tests.

--

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Just trying to take advantage of the few rideable days we have left in the tropical arctics here in northeastern ohio! Any imput would be greatly appreciated
RonK's advice is good.......I don't need to add to that. WILL however comment on the LAST part of your post.

"Tropical arctics?" Are you kidding? First off, that's a contradiction in terms, bro! MY family is in "Northeastern Ohio" (Akron/Stow) and it ain't NOTHIN like the Arctic compared to upstate Maine; and it's NOTHIN like the Tropics of Florida where I also go, every year!!

Yeah, you guys get some good "Winters" but it isn't Maine
Yeah, you guys get some hot summers, but it isn't Florida

I'll be out that way again in the "not too distant future." Perhaps we could meet up and have a cup o' Joe!? They shut down Bob's Big Boy in Stow (damn it)! NOW where'm I gonna go to get a decent burger?!

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
There should be two seals on the spark plug cap, one that seals around the plug itself, and one that seals the wire to the cap. Both need to be checked. If they seem to be in good shape, a very thin coating of silicone grease (bulb grease), will improve them. Also, it is not uncommon for the end of the wire to begin failing at the plug cap. There is a threaded spike in the cap that screws into the end of the wire; sometimes, trimming about 1/8" or so from the end of the wire and re-attaching it fixes the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts