Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I currently live in Ohio. I have family in Phoenix. I’m planning a ride across country on my Electra Glide next summer. Was looking for input on how dangerous/bad the ride would if I took the Apache Trail from the Roosevelt Dam into the city? How many miles are actually unpaved, and how difficult is the unpaved portion?

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Normally just a few more posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site
will open to you. This is the sites spambot control. Unfortunately it
is needed today. But you have to make 15 posts before you can post
pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege to be able to post
pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow gets
around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
I took the Apache Trail by car back in 2003, and it was a harrowing experience because it was very narrow in certain spots and most of it was unpaved. I would be less inclined to take my bike around the entire trail.

There is a really neat trading post they’re about halfway through the trip around.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Never been there, but it sounds interesting. If you do it, could you snap a few photos for the rest of us? :)

A little history on the trail would be interesting too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just took a look at the 'Trail' on Google Maps. I can see why you're interested in that road. It might be fun on a duel purpose bike, but not on a full blown road bike. Although I have never traveled that road on my photo trips, I have traveled on many dirt roads in my Van. And there is one thing I can guarantee. Dirt roads change. What could be a great ride one week, could be an ordeal the next. There is the possibility of contending with 'washboards', silt, deep sand, rocks, flash floods and anything else nature might want to throw at you.

Obviously it's your choice, but think long and hard about what you might be getting into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I looked at that satellite shot as well. Had me a little concerned. So thought I’d check with “locals”. Think I’ll steer clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts