Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to pull the baffles from my Cobra Slash Cut mufflers, so that I may wrap them. From what I can see, the baffles appear to be held in by a single weld per muffler, as seen in this pic.

Anyone know if they are just welded in on the exit end, or are the baffles welded at both ends? If just one end, I should be able to cut the weld, and weld on a nut after to use a bolt to keep them in, making it easy to remove for when they need to be rewrapped later on down the road.

·
8,572 Posts
Mufflers that are welded together don't require rewrapping of the baffles.

I'd call Cobra and ask them.

Sam:biggrin:

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mufflers that are welded together don't require rewrapping of the baffles.

I'd call Cobra and ask them.

Sam:biggrin:
Cobra just tries selling me a $400 new exhaust.

So, I am expected to just spend a F***TON of my cash cause a set of mufflers was designed in such a way to rape all our wallets?

They do not need to be wrapped, if you do not mind the noise level they produce, but at highway speed (between 5k-5500 rpm) they get a bit bothersome after a while. usually, wrapping unwrapped baffles helps reduce the volume.

·
8,572 Posts
I understand.

Some bikes with certain types of aftermarket exhaust will drive a person nuts and probably ruin the riders hearing too.

One bike I can remember was my new 1976 Honda CB750A-automatic. I put a 'race type' 4 into1, slip-on exhaust can on it and it was loud and droned at highway speeds and was obnoxious!

Now Yoshimura makes a slip on exhaust that is only louder when the bike is accelerated hard, mid range up, but sounds almost normal around town. I had one on my new 1997 Suzuki 1200S Bandit.

If you can get a Dremel cutting wheel in there, it looks like it would be easy to cut that weld away and remove the baffle's.

Good luck.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I thought Cobras came with 2,4, or 6 inch baffles, which were interchangeable for customizing your sound.

I'm just guessing, I've never had Cobra, but I'd suspect the muffler comes off the pipe and the baffle comes out the other end.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I had the same problem when I had the Cycle Shack mufflers on my Sportster. They were excessively loud and got annoying. I ended up ordering a set of smart partz baffles. They knocked the edge off the sound to a point I was happy. It may be a less expensive option for you if you cannot remove your baffles. They fit in with your current baffles, and knock the sound level down a half dozen decibels or so. Just right to reduce the annoying peaks in the exhaust note. http://www.smartpartz.com/

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Lurch posted a good option.

Another option might be to get a short generic baffle and fabricate some sort of "cone" holder to mount it to the back of your exhaust outlet.

Unless the packing has completely degraded out of the mufflers you already have wrapping new packing isn't going to change the sound much at all. Plus, they look like they'll be hard to get out of there without damaging the pipe. You can cut the weld, but you'll have to grind it smooth to pull the baffle out over it. I'm sure it can be done, but have plenty of patience.

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lurch, you may have saved the day lol. Bookmarking that link.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Their customer service is great, too. At the time I ordered my baffles, they had not made any to fit my mufflers. So I sent an email asking about it. They called and asked me to take some pictures and measurements for them. They made up the baffles and sent them to me. They fit right in and worked great. If you look at their product list, you'll see the cycle shack item they came up with for me. The exhaust note was slightly quieter, much deeper and less sharp. They made my bike sound really great, and it ran much better with the slightly increased back pressure.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I see that they claim a slight lower rumble when installed. I've got Screaming Eagles now but would like a lower rumble. I'm wondering if they really do lower the rumble level or if it's what people think is happening when they lose the harshness of straight pipes. I'd just change the slip-ons but I like the look now and everyone else has already gone to something else so mine always look different now anyway. Sure like to know before throwing $70 down the drain.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Are those the Cobra Classics line or the cheaper $200-ish line that don't have heat shields on the head pipes? If it's the latter just ride around for a while and the welds will break away on their own, assuming the frame bracket welds don't break first.

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are those the Cobra Classics line or the cheaper $200-ish line that don't have heat shields on the head pipes? If it's the latter just ride around for a while and the welds will break away on their own, assuming the frame bracket welds don't break first.
The former.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depending on your point of view that could be good or bad. ;)

I had a pair of the latter and they were utter garbage. After having the frame bracket tabs welded back on twice, it torpedo'd a baffle out one day and I had to get that welded back in (once it was cool enough to pick up with my fingerless gloves :D). I don't recall if there was a welding score on the inside or not, it was a decade ago when it happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts