Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least 2 Honda dealerships in the U.S. have unsold 2014 Gold Wing Valkyries for sale at nearly 50% less than original MSRP. I like the look of the bike, but I have reservations about the condition of tires, seals, etc.( any rubber or plastic) on a possibly 5 year old build. The dealer I spoke with stated that the bikes are still crated, and the website ad states that the bikes are covered with 3 years of factory warranty. Three years is fine, but I wonder about the viability of parts that have been unused for 4-5 years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
The tires are the only things about to age out - see if the dealer will put new ones on as part of the deal.

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
Sealed in a crate, not exposed to daylight, I would think that even the tires would still be fine.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
If it's a model that you like, I'd have no issues at all buying one. The age doesn't concern me, especially if they're still crated.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
If the tires look visibly OK I would probably just ride it and not worry.

Sounds like a good deal!

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Sealed in a crate, not exposed to daylight, I would think that even the tires would still be fine.
They are still exposed to air, and will age; maybe not as fast, but there may only be a couple years left before they harden and crack.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Then again, they might have another 5 years of good life left in them. Depends on the tire and conditions. Tires stored in cooler locations out of direct sunlight last longer than tires kept in hotter environments or exposed to sunlight. A tire's speed rating is supposed to make a difference too. The higher the speed rating the better they age. Composition matters too.

Anyway, I'd ride it and just check the tires like you're supposed to in the normal manner. (And like most people don't actually do.) If you get only a year or two out of them that's a year or two not wasted. No point throwing away money.

And if the dealer will throw on a fresh set and not sneak the cost into the deal? Even better.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
With a 3 year warranty wouldn't that cover the tires too if they showed cracking within the first 90 days or so? Personally I wouldn't worry about it. But if adding the price of new tires put a person in a financial bind, then maybe it's not as great a deal to them. By the way, even new tires might be that old if purchased by themselves. You would have to look at the production date on the new tires to know if they are truly new. So tires stored out of sunlight I wouldn't worry about. If they aren't hard and still pliable the UV protection will soon surface anyway. Sounds like a great deal to me if a person likes the bike. Being a Valkyrie it's got a proven power plant. I'd go for it with a big smile if it were me.

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
Excellent! You got a great bargain!
That bike will last a LOT of miles.
After all, it's a Goldwing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I read an article several years ago about how tires that have been exposed to refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners can age faster because of the ozone given off. That's a concern for me because I have a freezer in my garage right next to my motorcycle. I keep an eye on my tires and so far, so good.
Still, if something has been sealed in a non-air tight crate near any kind of ozone source, it would be worth checking out any rubber components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts