Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. OEJ had a Dell Latitude D600 laptop running XP Pro. 1.6ghz processor with only 512 mb of ram. It crashed on her years ago, so her boss gave her a new laptop. Well, being the nerd that I am, I grabbed it outta the trash and fixed it. It is now a tool I use in my service station to look up parts and info to fix bikes. It runs fine, but is a bit sluggish, prolly due to the lack of ram. So I am posing 2 questions to my Biker friends who have PC knowledge...

1) This laptop is upgradable to 2gb of ram. If I upgrade it, will it be a noticeable difference? (in other words, worth the $30 it will cost).

2) I'm considering getting a ChromeBook. Anyone here on the forum have one? If so, what are your thoughts on it.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The extra ram might speed things up if the laptop constantly has to read from the hard drive. The processor speed will determine the overall speed of the machine most of the time.

I've never used a Chromebook, but I think they would be fine for light-duty such as web browsing and email, etc.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yes increasing the RAM will definitely wake it up.

If it's pretty old & has been running XP for many years, you should consider wiping/reloading the whole operating system just to clear out the cobwebs

..you do know XP is no longer supported, right? It's OK to use it as a 'parts lookup' laptop but DON'T do any banking or even online purchasing with it..

I've never used a Chromebook, but hear lots of people are happy with them, as long as they stick to their limitations

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
Have to agree with Nordic, wiping and re-installing would make a big difference, certainly additional ram would also help.
I'm still using XP without problems. I'm old school with my banking so doing it online is not going to happen, I do purchase online often without any problems, I use Google Chrome not IE. I'm good with security and Microsoft is supporting its security of XP till July of 2015. By then I'll be on Windows 7. Not familiar with Chromebook.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
If you upgrade the RAM make sure you can still get the chips that are compatable with that machine. They all aren't equal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts