Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am doing a drywall job and the homeowner has a 2006 V Star 650 cruiser for sale. It has 15,600 miles, he has ridden it occasionally every year for the last 4 years. Tires are two years old with 1000 miles on them. It has had all maintenance and in great running condition. Never been down. The battery was new 4 years ago when he bought it so that could need replacing soon.

He wants $2000 for it. The job will take me 4 days and pays $1200. So essentially I could get it for $800 and 4 days' work.

My main questions are, how are these bikes for taller riders? I'm 6'3". And how much power do they have? Can you ride 2up on them?

Any insight is appreciated :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi all. I am doing a drywall job and the homeowner has a 2006 V Star 650 cruiser for sale. It has 15,600 miles, he has ridden it occasionally every year for the last 4 years. Tires are two years old with 1000 miles on them. It has had all maintenance and in great running condition. Never been down. The battery was new 4 years ago when he bought it so that could need replacing soon.

He wants $2000 for it. The job will take me 4 days and pays $1200. So essentially I could get it for $800 and 4 days' work.

My main questions are, how are these bikes for taller riders? I'm 6'3". And how much power do they have? Can you ride 2up on them?

Any insight is appreciated :)
I owned one, but I'm 5'7" It was OK but really strained on the highway (IMHO). I can't imagine a bigger guy riding two-up getting decent performance.

Having said that I think I still have the owner's manual and if you decide to buy drop me a note and I'll send it to you.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
I had one when I started ridding again. It is a good bike, but I had put a tach on it because I wanted to know engine RPM. 70 is 5200 rpm. It was buzzy at that speed. Could you ride two up - probably. I never did. I put 3000 miles on it in 3 months and then upgraded to a v4 1300 cc bike.

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
I had one, put 25K miles on it. It was a bit cramped for me at 5' 9", I can't imagine a taller person not having issues. Top speed was GPS verified 99 mph downhill with a tailwind, but a more realistic top speed was 85 mph. It's screaming at anything past 70 though...it won't hurt it but it sounds like it' going to blow up. This didn't stop me from riding it 140 miles a day on the interstate to work though so it can do the job, I went on a couple of 500 mile day trips too.
They last forever, but I got bored with it after I got a bigger bike.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
I've never owned one but I've serviced a zillion of them, performance tuned a few.
I'm 5'11, they don't feel like they are to small for me but I was only test riding them so...
If you open up the air intake, install a performance exhaust and re-tune the carburetors it gives it a fairly good bump of getup and go.
I've seen a few that had a spoke problem but out of a "zillion", not a bad record. Just check the spokes/hub before you make the deal.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
if you get it theres a problem with the rear drive shaft, the coupler looses grease and can strip the spline then it's very expensive. a used one from ebay is like $400.00 bucks.
Yes it's expensive because Yamaha doesn't sell the part that strips. You have to replace the whole rear drive gearbox to get it.
I've replaced two of them thru the years. New from Yamaha the price was was near $1000.00 as I recall.
They don't strip very often but when they do... :surprise:
I've always believed guys were doing drag-race type starts (maybe?) with the ones that failed.
The rear drive and rear spokes may be kind of a weak link on that bike...

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
They secret to those splines surviving is grease, good quality heavy duty, loaded with black moly grease. Grease all of the splines every tire change and you'll never have a problem, they don't break, they get dry, then wear out.

Yes it's expensive because Yamaha doesn't sell the part that strips. You have to replace the whole rear drive gearbox to get it.
I've replaced two of them thru the years. New from Yamaha the price was was near $1000.00 as I recall.
They don't strip very often but when they do... :surprise:
I've always believed guys were doing drag-race type starts (maybe?) with the ones that failed.
The rear drive and rear spokes may be kind of a weak link on that bike...

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
l have decided to pass on this one. l did some thinking and realized that the real reason l was considering it was because it was something different and could be had for cheap. l don't need it, and l don't currently have a place to put it. What l do need is more aggressive tires on the Landcruiser.

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
You aren't getting snow up there are you Fisken....?
We got about an inch of snow a bit North of Seattle WA. They may have got some. More likely they will be getting wet roads during the day, and black ice after dark. It is better than the movies, watching the locals driving at normal speeds, and above on the ice.
Currently the cold is coming from the East, and spilling out from the very cold stuff they had. We have a weather warning for the Coast, predicting severe cold. Which for around here is just a bit below freezing. If a high pressure system moves in from the ocean, it should stall the cold from the East. I am going to the mainland tomorrow on Deep Purple. It may be a bit colder for my return on Monday. There is also a bit of snow predicted for the weekend.

Vancouver Boat Show 06 to 10. Seattle Boat Show usually a week or two before Vancouver. Bob Seger Thursday night in Vancouver.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
They secret to those splines surviving is grease, good quality heavy duty, loaded with black moly grease. Grease all of the splines every tire change and you'll never have a problem, they don't break, they get dry, then wear out.
Yeah, that probably would keep the splines on the pinion gear alive.
The problem is some disassembly is required (housing, dust cover, seal, circlip) in order to get to the pinion gear splines.
Yamaha has no recommendation for routine service relating to the pinion gear splines so riders wouldn't know to ask a service tech to do the job and the service tech will be seen as a crook if he tried to sell the job.
Yamaha should do a better job of greasing/sealing the pinion gear splines if grease is all it takes to make them last.
On top of that Yamaha doesn't sell pinion (or ring) gears separately, you have to buy the entire unit...

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You aren't getting snow up there are you Fisken....?
Yes, my whole area got 3-6". I know it doesn't sound like much, but snow here is almost all water. About 4 hours after it starts the roads are a blanket of ice. The longer it stays cold, the slicker it gets. Wrecks all over the place. My Landcruiser is doing well, so is my Tacoma, but I'm never in a hurry. I decided new tires are more important than a new bike. Tomorrow the Landcruiser gets new Geolanders.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
…a new Yokohama product. It appears that this tire is "infused" with orange oil! Wow! Upon reading, I discovered that this oil helps the rubber compound to be more holistic and, when worn out, the tire is better disposed of than traditional tires. This reading made me think of the Yokohama…
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

Really??? I never heard of such a thing. They certainly are not an aggressive tread pattern.

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
I know, I greased both of ours twice. It's really not that big a job if the wheel is already off for a tire change. Since I did the first tire change on both of them I can tell you that one was dry from the factory, the other had some grease on it but not a lot. 08s or 09s, I forget which was which.

The second greasing was not necessary, 10-12k miles later at the next tire change, the grease was still fine and the splines looked brand new. I always changed the gear lube at the same time too, it's so easy but I'm sure a lot of people never do that either.
I think if they must have not used enough/any grease or the right grease from the factory and that was the root of the problem. I worked on gearboxes at work that use the same type of spline on the input shaft, they would last a year running 18 hours a day at 1750 rpm if assembled dry, or forever if given a good smear of grease or anti seize compound.

A little lubrication goes a long way...
I had a guy install a brand new $8000 gear box at work and forget one little detail, filling it with gear oil. It ran for less than an hour then seized, the worm gear was destroyed, the bearings were blue from heat, I threw it away after taking a look. The one that was removed had run for 20+ years with just oil changes, and all it needed was a bearing and seal job, we had it rebuilt and back together and installed in a couple hours.
I made a sign for the workbench in the shop with a picture of that gearbox that said "Gearbox $8000, life with oil 20 years, life without oil 45 minutes". That never happened again...

Yeah, that probably would keep the splines on the pinion gear alive.
The problem is some disassembly is required (housing, dust cover, seal, circlip) in order to get to the pinion gear splines.
Yamaha has no recommendation for routine service relating to the pinion gear splines so riders wouldn't know to ask a service tech to do the job and the service tech will be seen as a crook if he tried to sell the job.
Yamaha should do a better job of greasing/sealing the pinion gear splines if grease is all it takes to make them last.
On top of that Yamaha doesn't sell pinion (or ring) gears separately, you have to buy the entire unit...

Reactions: SemiFast

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Yep, it sure is more aggressive. Wonder how much it sings when on dry paved surfaces versus mud and snow. It's a good looking tire though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, it sure is more aggressive. Wonder how much it sings when on dry paved surfaces versus mud and snow. It's a good looking tire though.:thumbsup:
On the ih8mud.com forum (which is an off-road Toyota forum) it was the most often recommended tire. People say they are excellent in snow, handle rocks and debris well, but are well mannered on the road as well. I didn't make it to the tire shop today, it may be next week now. I'll ask the tire guys what their opinion is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts