Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took this picture of his rig in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Taos, Sunday, Oct 12. Made the mistake of knocking on his door and asking if he wanted a copy.

What is that unique V-motor'd Honda? What's the story on that motor? Did Japanese engineers copy a BMW airhead but got the angle wrong?

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Don't know Grumpy.

That 80 degree twin is a Honda CX series from the late '70s to early '80s. It's more like the Moto Guzzi than BMW since it has a longitudinal engine with transverse cylinder heads. Here's a wiki link for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series

I see one from time to time with a CX500 frame, a CX650 engine, different front forks and a monoshock rear suspension.

·
So long
2,753 Posts

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you came knocking on my door at the crack of dawn I'd be grumpy too.

Around here metallic powder coating is starting to get popular. I've seen "chrome," aluminum, gold, and copper colors. The chrome doesn't look quite as good as real chrome plating, but it really isn't bad.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Grumpy

What Oz said.
Back in the day push rod motors would only rev to about 6,000.
See the movie " Red Line 6.000 " With a lot of work and expense, you could get a Norton type motor to rev higher than that, but the piston speed got to great.
Honda wanted to show you could make a push rod motor rev higher if you designed and built it correctly.
That 500 V twin would do 10,500. The push rods are very thick to prevent bending. Notice now that the NASCAR guys are running about 9,500 revs.
Honda and others were also showing you could make over square engines work well.
Another thing Honda did was put hardened valve seats in some engines, years before the no lead scare occurred. There was no notice about this, we discovered it when we had a CB450 engine apart.

Unkle Crusty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts