Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the M3D micro on pre-order in January and it was slated for delivery in Feb-March time frame. Still standing by patiently and hoping for it to show up soon, I've designed some stuff in google sketchup that I really want to make a reality for some projects I've been messing with. I know I can pay someone to print it for me but I'd rather do it myself.

Anyone else have experience with 3D printers?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just want to say, I think the 3D printer technology is something that will end up surprising us all! I think there will be many beneficial advances in this technology that we can not forsee.
Just my humble opinion
Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's incredible what you can "print" and the technology is just barely past it's infancy. What's even cooler is the thingiverse where people willing share their models for free and provide tons of help. My first project is going to be an accelerometer stabilized GoPro mount that keeps the camera level with the horizon while the bike leans into corners.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
I've seen a few of them in operation. A friend also had one that was out of alignment, which turned the print plan into a hilarious surreal sculpture.

What kind of things will you be printing?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have one, a RepRap from a "kit" and I LOVE IT! It took a couple of weeks to learn to make good 3Ds from Sketchup and about a week to learn the setup and operation of the printer but it was well worth it!

I used my setup to make ABS patterns for a foundry who cast them in iron for me. 3D printing saved me MANY hour over making wood patterns!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one, a RepRap from a "kit" and I LOVE IT! It took a couple of weeks to learn to make good 3Ds from Sketchup and about a week to learn the setup and operation of the printer but it was well worth it!

I used my setup to make ABS patterns for a foundry who cast them in iron for me. 3D printing saved me MANY hour over making wood patterns!

VERY cool!

My first project is going to be a GoPro mount, after that I'm thinking about prototyping an H frame for a folding Quadcopter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts