Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my 1978 GL1000 restoration and am having some trouble with my throttle cables. The factory push/pull cable was missing the push cable and I’ve decided to install a low profile 1/2 twist throttle from a CRF450R. The 450R cables I have are too short though. I have a custom cable kit to make new ones but need to know the free length to put on the carb side of the cables. Does anyone have a GL1000 and could measure their cables? I am going to install the 450r cables with the throttle just hanging loose tomorrow and see how close the free length is on those, if it works, then I’ll just match those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ok, I have a 76 mocked up in my shop. The stock throttle control is on it, cables are connected and adjustments are all the way in on both cables. I have not installed the carbs yet, so measuring was pretty easy. The "go" cable measured 87mm free cable from the adjuster base to the lead bit. The "stop" cable measured 65.5mm in the same way.

I can get some photos if you need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have a 76 mocked up in my shop. The stock throttle control is on it, cables are connected and adjustments are all the way in on both cables. I have not installed the carbs yet, so measuring was pretty easy. The "go" cable measured 87mm free cable from the adjuster base to the lead bit. The "stop" cable measured 65.5mm in the same way.

I can get some photos if you need.

Awesome! Just so I’m clear, when you say adjustments are all the way in, the free length is as long as possible currently? And “go” cable would be the pull cable when opening the throttle correct, just hadn’t heard those names before?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, sorry, pull cable is more accurate. Other names include the "hold my beer" cable, "brraaaap" cable, etc.

Yes, both cables are as long as they can be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, sorry, pull cable is more accurate. Other names include the "hold my beer" cable, "brraaaap" cable, etc.

Yes, both cables are as long as they can be.

Ok thanks, you’re a lifesaver! That’s really the only thing I lacked for reassembly. Hopefully it’ll be up running in a few weeks!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Weirdly I think a few of us here have GL1000s, so don't hesitate to ask if you need something!

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,506 Posts
Cmon is on it! I have a 1000 too but I did not install the push cable because I installed an aluminum grip that only used the pull. That said I bought a new pull cable from Cycle Saber and it was longer than my old stretched cable by almost 5mm which was very disappointing. Make sure you oil up your new cable once you make it up too at or before install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts