Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I got my first bike yesterday, a 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot,and today I took it out for the first time. I left my house at 9AM and didn't get home until now at 7:40PM. I'm sore as hell but I just couldn't stop. The gas tank on this bike is so small I filled up 3 times. I actually ran out of gas once but luckily it was right next to a gas station. I am surprised at how comfortable I felt on the bike. I expected to be scared at first but as soon as I took off all my fears just left.

I am excited to wake up tomorrow and do some more riding. If my body allows it.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeah, I ran out of gas once too when I first started riding. Honestly, I likely did it more then once. :biggrin: But you'll get used to monitoring the odometer and knowing when to start looking for a gas station. And if your bike doesn't have a reserve tank, you can always replace the petcock with one that gives you a reserve.

Welcome from Daytona Beach.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Yep, know that Christmas morning feeling very well. I'm never ready to stop riding or come home when we go on a bike trip. Have fun & stay safe.

·
American Legion Rider
22,142 Posts
Very much like that isn't MONI. Getting that toy you wanted so bad and just not letting go of it. I'm really not sure I ever got past it with my bikes though. I think the OP is the latest true motorcyclist in the making. Others ride but when you can't stop, you got the bug.:D

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Yup, ran out of gas too. First time was during a dealer test ride! That's when I learned the Beemer gas gauge is "optimistic"!!

Welcome to the forum from Chapel Hill.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,290 Posts
Welcome aboard, I have had to go on reserve more than once

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Only had to use reserve once. The first time I ran out I just didn't think about reserve...DUH!!! Both times I was within 3 miles of home & just didn't think I was that close to empty or could have put gas in before I left home.

Now I just write down my mileage on my gas receipt and stick it in my glove when I get off the bike. I look at it before every trip now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I first ran out of gas within a mile from the house on my current bike. I thought I had other problems but then finally thought to shake the tank. Then found out the bike had a reserve and went to the gas station.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
when I first got my Suzuki back in '08 it was brand new with only .3 miles on it...3 months later almost 3K and most of that was just around town, I wasn't taking long trips :)

yeah, a lot of fuel gauges are not that accurate....I must say though, the gauge on my Yamaha is fairly accurate, I know that when the light comes on I only have a gallon (or so) of gas left and I need to head for the gas station....I don't have a reserve, my bike is fuel injected

my bike has an odometer and 2 trip ODO's....I set one when I fill the tank and use the other just to keep an eye on how far I go each day, resetting it every time I get on the bike....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Been riding non stop. I have some questions on buying parts for the bike. This being my first bike I have no idea what fits, or how to find out if it will fit. I want to replace the headlight that the PO put on with a simple round headlight. Any tips on where to look and how to determine fitting?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only had to use reserve once. The first time I ran out I just didn't think about reserve...DUH!!! Both times I was within 3 miles of home & just didn't think I was that close to empty or could have put gas in before I left home.

Now I just write down my mileage on my gas receipt and stick it in my glove when I get off the bike. I look at it before every trip now.
That's an awesome idea. I'll start doing that.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I hope I never get over it!!! :D :D

I LOVE the feeling.........yep.........but I have learned to keep it in balance with the rest of my life.

Guys who are gone on their bikes for too long, often find their wives (if married of course) or girlfriends rather miffed.

Taking them along is ok, but let's be honest........the ride "alone" is better in some ways!!

Also.......another warning......"bikes" are indeed a "chick magnet," and that can get you into some really hot water when you don't want it. Trust the "voice of experience" on that!! Mind your "P's" and "Q's" when you are out there!!

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Yup, ran out of gas too. First time was during a dealer test ride! That's when I learned the Beemer gas gauge is "optimistic"!!

Welcome to the forum from Chapel Hill.

Such was a number of responses I read in a Ford Truck Forum........the "____ miles to empty" prompt is based on an estimate of the current MPG, not actual tank content.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome BoFoofer. You know that the petcock turned down is the way to ride so that you can go to the angels, up, position when the bike quits running. If you are near a town that will get you there but don't forget to turn it back down as soon as you fill the tank. I know that sounds simple but it is how I actually ran out of all gas as a new rider. I left it up and rode until it quit. Next thing you know I was walking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome BoFoofer. You know that the petcock turned down is the way to ride so that you can go to the angels, up, position when the bike quits running. If you are near a town that will get you there but don't forget to turn it back down as soon as you fill the tank. I know that sounds simple but it is how I actually ran out of all gas as a new rider. I left it up and rode until it quit. Next thing you know I was walking.
Hahaha I found out I had the reserve after posting on here. That sure would have come in handy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I LOVE the feeling.........yep.........but I have learned to keep it in balance with the rest of my life.

Guys who are gone on their bikes for too long, often find their wives (if married of course) or girlfriends rather miffed.

Taking them along is ok, but let's be honest........the ride "alone" is better in some ways!!

Also.......another warning......"bikes" are indeed a "chick magnet," and that can get you into some really hot water when you don't want it. Trust the "voice of experience" on that!! Mind your "P's" and "Q's" when you are out there!!

-Soupy
Already experiencing some problems with my girlfriend haha. I could see this being a problem in my relationships. I'll try and keep it in check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts