Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on saddlebags. I'm hoping to get a set as a gift for my brother-in-law for Christmas and I'm completely out of my depth.

Viking Bags seem to come up in all my searches. Does anyone here have them on their bike? I'd love to hear some feedback on if they're the way to go. What's good/not-so-good? What should I be looking out for, etc.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I need some advice on saddlebags. I'm hoping to get a set as a gift for my brother-in-law for Christmas and I'm completely out of my depth.

Viking Bags seem to come up in all my searches. Does anyone here have them on their bike? I'd love to hear some feedback on if they're the way to go. What's good/not-so-good? What should I be looking out for, etc.
Thanks in advance!
I put Viking saddlebags on my Triumph America and am very satisfied. When ordering, there are options to pick the year, make and model of bike and the bags I got fit perfectly. They also came with material needed to either mount them or use them as "throw over" type bags.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Perhaps a gift card to the appropriate retailer where your brother in law, who's probably more knowledgeable about what to get for his bike, might be worth consideration?

·
Very Famous Person
10,108 Posts
--
I can't remember all the details, but for about 5 years during the early 2010s, I had a set that had the buckles and chrome studs. It had a lock too. Worked great and I don't remember any problems.

You do have to be aware of being too close to the exhaust as it will burn them. I was starting to get that problem until I switched to mufflers on both sides instead of 2 on the right side only.
--

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3 sets, or the hard leather covered bags, 1 set on my Sportster, 2nd on my daughters Sportster, 3rd set on my 1995 Electra Glide FLHTP. The ones on the sportsters are about same size just different designs, both are lockable but they only hard mount due to the stiffness of the bags, the ones I have on my Electra Glide are stretched and a lot lower, goes around my tail pipes, huge bags, once again only hard mount both lockable and all of them keep all the weather out. The 2 sets I bought for the Sportsters no issues at all, the set for my Electra Glide I had to resend them 5 times before I got a set of bags without either tears in the leather, bad hinges, or they would not close correctly. No complaints after that. Just make sure you check the packaging out take pictures if any damage, and checks the bags all over for fit, tears, lock works smoothly, and get in touch with them ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts