Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news, the start menu is back! :D

Windows 10 isn't for sale yet, but Microshaft is making a beta "technical preview" version of Win'10 available to try for free. Just download it and burn to DVD or onto a USB stick & install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

It's a BETA so bugs may exist. And, this version is just for testing and it will expire sooner or later so, don't replace your main machine O/S with this version.

It looks pretty good! I'm on Win'8 right now, and I'll probably jump to Win'10 as soon as it becomes available next year, the enhancements address most of the things people complained about in Win'8

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have the preview and it's running on an old laptop in the workshop. I just use it to look at manuals and play music. The preview expires in Apr. No issues yet except that it doesn't really shut off the machine so I pull the plug (battery is toast).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...No issues yet except that it doesn't really shut off the machine so I pull the plug (battery is toast).
That's interesting & I haven't noticed that behavior on this desktop yet.. do you mean some lights or the screen stay ON after you do a full shutdown?

I originally tried installing this demo onto another really ancient POS desktop, that did happen to satisfy the mimimum specs. But the O/S wouldn't install.. I think the problem was that machine has a weird onboard graphics chipset that Win'10 couldn't come to terms with. Just a guess

·
Registered
31 Posts
It acts like it goes into sleep mode. The power light turns red and if I turn it back on it skips the normal startup. Comes back real fast like it was in sleep. Of course this could be a laptop thing. When I installed it, it found everything. No additional drivers needed. One additional thing, it is not connected to the internet. I've only installed two programs on it. It's got Adobe reader for PDF files and Media monkey for my classic rock collection. The touch pad seems to be overly sensitive though.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I am curious as to how much resources it uses compared to 7 and 8, and how fast it is.
I just hope that they do not stop supporting Windows 7 when 10 rolls out, cause I happen to like 7

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far it seems Win'10 preview is working pretty good, although i did stop my testing a few months ago,, I was just curious to see it & try it out for a while. As far as system load comparison, it seemed to me to that 8-&-10 seemed pretty similar.

I'm on Win'8.1 now and, probably so long as M$ doesn't charge too much for the upgrade, I'll probably buy into Win'10 when it becomes available early next year.

I think Win'7 will stay supported for quite a long time to come. I think it came out in late 2009, correct? Technically it's still pretty new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For everyone interested in an upgrade, everyone running windows 7 or higher will be able to upgrade for free within the first year of release. Which means if you currently have a machine running windows 7-8.1, when 10 is released, you are free to upgrade an have 1 year to do so. If you were to miss the one year grace period, you would then have to pay for your upgrade. Also works with if you are installing a fresh new install of an OS, you will have to pay for a copy of 10.

I did have some time to mess with windows 10 and I can say I'm not particularly impressed really. I won't be upgrading to 10 until it becomes fully supported and most companies have troubleshot and fixed driver issues with most programs/hardware as being a PC gamer, making sure my components get the most out of them means a lot to me, tho DX12 seems pretty nice.

I actually JUST put 8.1 on my PC because previously I wasn't bothered with going past 7 cause I didn't NEED to. Windows 7 will be supported for another 5 or so years give or take, windows vista has to lose support before. Besides, 7 is their most used OS by far.

I had a lady bring in her PC to my job for me to work on, she had previously brought it to another PC shop and they had wiped her HDD and put 10 on there. The GUI looks nice but it's response time was horrible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts