Motorcycle Forum banner

Any Triumph Speed Triple Clones Out There?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SVSick50 
#1 ·
I really like the look of the Triumph Speed Triple. It sorta has this classic/standard/hooligan look to it:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003-Triumph-SpeedTripleb.jpg
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop-460x311/2007_Triumph_Speed_Triple_Black_Carbon_aw.jpg

Here are my questions:

1) Does any happen to know of any similar looking bikes?

2) My big concern with this bike is that I may not be able to ride it for long distances on the expressway. Is there any way to correct this? Or does anyone happen to know of any similar-looking bikes that might be better on the expressway for 8-hours at a time? :eek:

#2 ·
Dammit man. I was typing this post and lost it. :mad:OK starting over.

Awesome bike, rides GREAT and is QUICK. I rode it at a Triumph demo day and fell in love.

The 09 R model comes with a windscreen option which can reduce wind buffeting on the highway. Dont know about seats though. it's pretty comfortable though prepared to a typical hunched over sportbike position, you sit straight up.:)

Man, I wish the manufacturers would bring MORE of this style bike to the US. There are alot of cool bikes by Honda for example, including some of a similar style, only sold in Europe and Canada. Why? IN the US people only want big cruisers or supersport replicas, which are kinda extreme in some ways. :mad:

Here are some kinda similar bikes that are sold here

Ducati Monsters
Triumph Street Triple (big brother to the Speed Triple)
Suzuki SV 650 or 1000 naked version ( I actually ride the sport version)
Suzuki B-king (basically a naked Hayabusa)

I think it's a Honda 519, but they don't make them in US any more.

I am not sure about the Yamaha FZ-6, it looks more like a trad. sportbike but you do sit more upright.

8 hours on the expressway, wow. You might look into a sport tourer like a Kawasaki Concours or a Beemer or something like that.

#6 ·
Man, I wish the manufacturers would bring MORE of this style bike to the US. There are alot of cool bikes by Honda for example, including some of a similar style, only sold in Europe and Canada. Why? IN the US people only want big cruisers or supersport replicas, which are kinda extreme in some ways. :mad:

The guys at the local dealership told me they don't meet emissions standards and could only be titled for off road use. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
yeah there's the triumph STREET triple, which is a smaller naked bike based on the daytona platform. I want either for my next bike.

If you want to buy used and CHEAP, you could try the triumph speed4. it was a 4cyl 600cc naked bike made from 2003-2004 (iirc) that wasn't very popular, but is pretty fun to ride and carries alot of the Speed3's styling cues.

other mfr's naked bikes don't quite have the same hooligan look as the triumphs, but i like the kawi Z1000, ducati monster, and the SV650. There are also the aprilia tuono (and now, the shiver 750) and the MV Agusta Brutale, but the Ape and the MV are going to be pricey.

#4 ·
Oops I mixed up the Speed Triple and the Street Triple. I still can't remember which one is which, except one is 675 cc. I rode both at demo days and liked both of them. Wait, the Street Triple is smaller (I think) Yes what badmonkey said. :)

#8 ·
let me add, with a few more modifications, like changing out the clipons for actual handlebars, moved up and back a couple inches, and maybe moving the pegs forward some, the bike would be a lot more comfortable for long trips. (that's why i like the sport touring bike to start with, it's already fairly comfortable for long trips. at some point, i will change the clipons for bars, but that's low on my list.)

#9 ·
I own a 919, which is very similar in overall desing to the speed triple (perhaps a little less sexy). The seating position on naked standards is far more comfortable than sportbike seating, and with the addition of a windsheild (I use a Givi 755a) you will have no problems on the highway. Without a windshield, it feels like someone is constantly trying to rip you off the bike. When it is windy, sometimes I can't wave at other bikers for fear of being blown off:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.