Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys! It's been quite awhile. How have you all been?

So for those that don't know, I made a previous post about failing the MSF, on Aug. 25. Since then, I haven't gotten an opportunity to practice at all. I did study the handbook they handed out here and there, but there has so many obstacles impeding me and I'm trying to find a way to get better on the moto.
Here's my dilemma if you're interested. Just skip it if you aren't lol

-Teachers being hard to understand (one has a foreign accent and teaches by the book, the other goes lightning quick with lessons)
-My friendo's mother is unavailable to get me on one of her bikes, time constraints. Also, I'd think she doesn't trust me enough. I wouldn't trust me at my experience level if I had a beautiful, sentimental bike. Hahaha.
-Both my parents are out of state, unable to do some things that I need to do that require a ride.
-AP classes burying me in work.
-School causes me to run on 4-6 hr sleep times.
-My sis seldom is able to give me a ride since her job keeps her busy to the point of me tending to the house most of the week alone.
-With my dad out of state, I can't get 150 dollars due to distance and most likely the fact it is 150 dollars. I don't think anybody would be exhilarated to spend 150 dollars all at once, let alone again. Lol.

Basically in a nutshell, I have so much things to do. Some things I had (transportation from my father) is not available to me anymore.

So I'm in a difficult situation and I can't think OF ANYTHING that could work.

Do you guys have any suggestions at all? ANYTHING? If its an unorthodox solution, I'll take it haha.
Good day to you all.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
First things first, if you can't afford the class, you can't take the class. Find a way to come up with $150. I don't know if you are old enough, but when l was a young man l used to go to the local plasma center and donate. They paid like $25 a pop and you could do it like twice a week. And it was a good thing to do anyway :)

Also, do you live in an area with any woods? If so, l would get in with the guys who ride in the dirt. Where there are dirt riders,there is bound to be an old beat up XR100 that someone can get running without too much trouble. There is your practice bike. Even though it isn't on the street, the controls are all the same. Hell, go out in the woods and set up a course just like the one they have at the BRC school and pretend you are riding on asphalt. The cool thing is, if you dump it at 12mph in the dirt it won't hurt you or the bike.

You can always take the class through a different outfit if you don't like the instructors. I am not sure what it's like where you live, but here in western Washington there are 10 schools within a reasonable distance, all teaching the exact same state course.

As far as transportation to and from the classes, figure that out along the way. There is always someone going where you want to go. Put an ad on Craigslist asking for someone who will be making the same trip that weekend. If you want to make it happen something will fall into place. I do wish you well my friend. And let us know how it works, okay?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't think stressing about everything is helpful. You're 16. You've got plenty of time to let things work themselves out.
I agree 100% with Calculon.

It is difficult to put off what you want, but you really have your hands full for a 16 year old.
Give yourself a break.
Perhaps wait until late spring to start setting up the class, etc. That way you'll have the summer to work on your skills.

Good luck and persevere!

:icon_cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think stressing about everything is helpful. You're 16. You've got plenty of time to let things work themselves out.
I'd agree, but again, my parents are out of state working. And it would be a great to get a license and bike. Sometimes, the transportation will be insanely helpful, there have been occasions where I did have to be somewhere and I barely made it or I did not make it at all.

C

·
0 Posts
I was going to suggest doing some odd jobs like cutting grass or shoveling snow but it seems you don't have the time.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It sounds like you have way too much going on to focus on learning to ride. I can certainly understand your desire to get transportation, but a bike may not be the right choice at this time.

If you can't come up with the money for the course, how are you going to afford a bike, insurance, and maintenance. If public transportation is available I would use it for the time being, finish school, get a job, and reduce the stress in your life then focus on learning to ride.

Also we are about to head into winter, in most parts of the country that is not a good time to learn to ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like you have way too much going on to focus on learning to ride. I can certainly understand your desire to get transportation, but a bike may not be the right choice at this time.

If you can't come up with the money for the course, how are you going to afford a bike, insurance, and maintenance. If public transportation is available I would use it for the time being, finish school, get a job, and reduce the stress in your life then focus on learning to ride.

Also we are about to head into winter, in most parts of the country that is not a good time to learn to ride.
My father was said he would get me a bike and help me with insurance costs, and I was going to get a job further out from my area to pay for costs when I have the moto, but I totally get where you are coming from.

The buses for transportation aren't running routes I need to get where I need and even if they do, they don't fit my schedule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm aiming to take the course around Winter, but time will tell.

I do really want to practice on a bike before I do though.

Are there any bike simulators? I know the question is ridiculous, but it's better than nothing. I also want to get back on just for fun. The course had us constantly going, but riding itself is just a blast.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Are there any bike simulators? I know the question is ridiculous, but it's better than nothing. I also want to get back on just for fun. The course had us constantly going, but riding itself is just a blast.
Not aware of any simulators, but can't imagine that it would do anything if there were other than make you over-confident when you got on the real thing.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you want a simulator for practice roll out that bicycle and do all of the exercises on it. Counter steering is the same and slow riding keeping your head up works the same. If you can ride the box on a bicycle you can do the same thing with the engine doing the pedaling for you. Only the engine and the foot brake are really different.
Yes powered bikes are heavier but pay close attention to technique and you will never feel the weight difference. I ride a bike that weighs in at over 1100 pounds with me on it. The techniques are the exact same as on a 350 pound 250cc bike but if I mess up I can't stop a fall by sticking my leg out and it is a lot harder to pick my bike back up. Practice the techniques until you don't need to put a foot down to guide you or stop a fall and you will be far better prepared for a motorized bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts