Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I made an iOS app called Swift Volume that changes your music volume based on your speed (doesn't matter if you're using Spotify, Apple Music, etc.). Makes it easy to hear your music but also hear traffic and other riders when you stop or are riding slow.

Would love any feedback that fellow bikers have. Only for iPhone right now but will be posting one for Android soon. It's in the iOS App Store and it's called Swift Volume

Disclaimer: Use your brain and make sure you use this app when it is safe to do so (ie: maybe don't use music when riding in traffic or in any situation where you need to hear your surroundings). Also, follow your laws and bylaws

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
It might be some time before I get to ride and can give this a test. It is certainly something I can use since my bike has that ability but due to needing a CB, that function was lost. A analog/digital incompatibility issue. So I'll definitely give it a try.

Already have one complaint. I do not see why you need my location. All you need to know is that I'm moving and the phone can easily tell that with the iphone accelerometer, actual location isn't needed. But I guess maybe it's all tied together. But I generally never allow an app my location. I do allow anything else while using the app.
I thought you would just be using the accelerometer and therefore wouldn't need my actual location, so I got hit by that.
You do need to correct the path to fix that as some folks won't know where it's at and your info misses one or two steps. It's a nit but should be...
Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Swift Volume>Allow While Using

·
Registered
297 Posts
GPS is the easy and foolproof way to measure speed. Using the accelerometer requires the app to integrate acceleration to calculate velocity and that is not nearly as accurate: errors accumulate.

·
On The Road Again!
2,753 Posts
You're too late.
My 20 year old Goldwing adjusts it's volume based on speed.
Actually, all Goldwings since the late 80s have done this.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My cars do, too. But when I'm listening to an audio book streaming from my phone into my helmet Bluetooth there is no speed-sensitive volume. That's what this app is for. I'm looking forward to the Android version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts