Motorcycle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Dang! The K bikes really changed. That looks nothing like my K100 from 88.
You're right. They're totally different bikes.

Your '88 K100 was known as the K "flying brick" due to the look of it's longitudinally mounted engine originally sourced from Peugeot. Yup, it was a car engine turned onto it's side!

The newer K bike started with model year 2005. It's known as a K "wedge" due to look of it's transverse mounted engine that's tilted forward at a 55 degree angle.

·
American Legion Rider
20,613 Posts
I knew that about mine but I'm surprised they changed. I thought it was a darn good engine. In fact my K100 is the first big engine/bike I saw doing wheelies. People were popping them all the time. I had no idea they had changed to a different engine. Dang! Progress I guess.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
... Progress I guess.
This is the last year for the K1300S. Then the only K bike available will be the K1600 big six cylinder. BMW riders who want sportier rides within the brand will migrate to the S1000RR sport bike, the S1000R roadster, or the S1000XR cross between an adventure bike and a sport bike. The last two would be better for a taller rider since the ergos are more roomy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm a big guy. I ride a sport bike. The other day a friend took a photo of me while on my bike, and I realized that I look like a tool on a sport bike. But, I don't really care. If anything, its good incentive for me to get back on my diet!

Any other bigger sport bike riders out there?
I can't remember if I've posted here already, but I'm 230lbs, 6'2", and I'm riding a CBR900RR. And some @$$Hole wrote a whole bunch of $#!T all over it. Repsol, NGK, Michelin, etc. Some people have no respect...

Oh wait, those were the ads that were part of my fairing kit... my mistake.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am 6'2" and 235 lbs on a gsxr 750 and I love it. It is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden ( on road ). My friends are big dudes as well and they both ride gsxr 600s. One is 6' and 340 lbs. (suspension work) Although it is funny at times to watch him tuck his belly behind the tank but he rides quite comfortabley. He says he wouldn't ride anything else except for maybe a bigger gsxr. I say if you're comfortable on it and the bike handles your size well then ride on brother!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a old thread but I just joined I'm 6'1" and about 460 I've ridden cruisers for about 2 years now and today I road a zx10r and now I'm hooked but the bike is a little cramped so do you guys think a busa would handle my size my bike I had a oppurtunity to sit on one its a lot more comfortable for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6.3 with my legs taking most of the responsibility. I have an 04 R1 and have been told that I make it look like a pit bike.
But I dont care too much, I just enjoy riding it. It's life that's short , not me !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, im 6'3" and weigh about 450lbs, any thoughts on a first bike to have that will be able to handle my weight with maybe suspension modifications. I have ridden a handfull of times before. learned on a 250 ninja when i wasnt this big lol and a 750 nighthawk shortly after than.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Many can handle 450 pounds, so as long as you don't take a passenger you will be able to stay under the recommended weight. You will have to research what the weight limit is for each motorcycle you might be interested in to see for sure. It would be a great idea to make sure it is comfortable before buying as well.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey guys, im 6'3" and weigh about 450lbs, any thoughts on a first bike to have that will be able to handle my weight with maybe suspension modifications.

Without a doubt you will need to do modifications if you are buying a sportbike. None of them are sprung for anywhere close to your weight because they are made for lighter Asian builds. Many Americans need to replace the springs in sportbikes. Even if the rear can handle your weight, the front absolutely cannot. You will be riding dangerously because the forks and rear needs to be in the middle of the stroke when static. If you are in the lower 1/4 at static then you will inevitably bottom it out which can easily cause the front or rear to wash out. This measurement is called "sag".

You may find that a bigger cruiser or sport touring bike will handle your build without mods, but you should check the specs and have them set the sag for you.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Hey guys, im 6'3" and weigh about 450lbs, any thoughts on a first bike to have that will be able to handle my weight with maybe suspension modifications. I have ridden a handfull of times before. learned on a 250 ninja when i wasnt this big lol and a 750 nighthawk shortly after than.

On a side note, I sincerely hope you're actively looking at reducing your size, the human body is just not made to handle that kind of size and vascular system strain. We all wish each other a safe ride, and part of that is taking care of yourself as well as your ride :)

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts

3 years ago I was 450 and 6'5 today I am down to 265 but it took getting a Duodenal Switch. If you want to lose the weight, it can be done, but if you do not, then just be sure to live and love life, that is much more important than how much you weigh. I know plenty of fat happy people and skinny miserable ones.

OK that being said if you weigh over 300 you might want to look in the 600cc+ range. Personally at my largest I have ridden everything from an anemic 149cc Chinese scooter to an 88 Sportster but I had a lot of fun on my old daily driver which was an 82 CB750. Take your refresher class, get your license (if you let it expire like I did) then go test drive. We big guys can adapt to bigger bikes more quickly because much of what gets people early on is the hp/total weight ratio. But when we add a couple hundred pounds on that ratio it smoothes out the accel. Plus we are used to moving around heavier things.

Just my 2lbs err 2c worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tall guy here

I'm 6.4 260 pounds and I ride Hayabusa.I had to make several changes in order for the bike to fit me.Like lowerd footpegs ajustable shift and brake lever.Custom seat.In my opinion sportbikes are made for people no taller than 6.1

·
7,253 Posts
I'm 6ft-5in @ 350 pounds of Chicken fried, gravy fed table muscle and I ride whatever I want:biggrin:

This thread is almost as old as me;)

Below is me and my first Electra Glide that I named 'Porky.' He wasn't fast but he had a lot of low end torque:p

Sam:71baldboy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im a big guy too.

Im 6"0 330 Lbs and i think i look just fine on a sport bike. I would have to agree that as long as you can reach the ground flat foot you should be fine.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts