Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping my eye open on craigs list for a new project to start.
I cant really spend any money on one right now, but a few pretty cheap deals.
Been watching a 1990 Yamaha Venturer that looks decent and condition unknown, for $500
A gpz1100 clean looking and missing carbs. Then today a estate sale and asking $750 for what looks like a r6 bmw, sitting in thier dead fathers garage, with the keys in the ignition ready to roll.
Never fails, when you do not have the extra money to spare, will find a deal.
wonder what others might be working on.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
No project bikes, not until I own a place to do the work.

Thinking about getting a Memphis Shades batwing fairing for my Kaw 900 Classic and painting it like the saddlebags.

Already have Memphis Shades drop-top windshield with quick release.........same mounting hardware as the fairing, so it will just be click click change from windshield to fairing and back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I wish Wade, it is more like this.
Ooops, just looked and the add is gone already. Was a dont know what year, and the kids selling it had no idea what it was either.
Was a boxer motor, mag wheels, the frame with a shock on the right side and nothing on the left? ... weird design.
But it was in black and had full front fairing, had the hangers for the hard cases for the rear, but not on the bike.
Also had a full dress harley in the back of the bmw photo. A beautiful fully stocked shop.
And the bmw had some dust on it .... I bet he rode it regularly when he could.
$750 the kids were giving it away, and the add was only posted for 4 hours before being removed.

I know I can build that bike in the above photo, it is calling my name I can hear it.
But I need to get something to ride in the mean time :(

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I was going to say, if Wade didn't have it covered I sure did!

Winter here is riding season, but for projects I'm going to add on about 450 sf to the house. If I have any time, or energy, after that I might make a new exhaust for the Springer and finally get to work on the Panhead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just going to toss in the ring, My first bike was a yamaha 80 when I was 14, I owned several bikes since then. Bought traded and sold like a used car salesman.
Last bike was a 69 triumph 650 hard tail, got a management job and quit riding.... rode that bike for 7 years.

15 years later
Funny how life's changes will bring out the best of us. and the worst.

Got some funny little critter growing under my skull, cat scans last week and DR appointments this week.
You get time to think, and the freedom of riding comes back and hits ya like a sledge hammer.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Eye_m_no_angel said:
I was going to say, if Wade didn't have it covered I sure did!
That's the trouble with craigslist. If you do see a legit ad it's gone in minutes. I swear there are people that live on those hovering like vultures. Even I would have bought that one and I'm not a restorer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This winter's project list:

1. Finish renovating my second floor - currently stripped to the studs & wiring roughed in - needs insulation, vapour barrier, sheeting. Finishing can happen later.

2. Engine overhaul on an 1983 Honda Shadow for a friend of mine. It is burning/blowing a little oil so probably needs rings and maybe a seal kit.

3. Strip down my 1967 Honda Dream, strip the paint, and repaint in Candy Purple. Will be my first attempt at Candy paint - should be interesting. Then polish everything, add mini-apes, and have it running again by next year's show season.

And, if there is any time left:

4. Overhaul the engine on my 1962 Honda 50 and re-wire it.

Oh, and I hope to take a week away in March to visit Bike Week in Daytona - never been to Florida! :)

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Two lists for me... the fantasy, "I wish" list and the real world list.

Will take the wind deflectors off the bike, knock off the rough edges and refine them a little and then get them powder coated. The windshield can be tweaked a little farther forward but am hitting the limits.

There are four or five rifles hanging in the queue to finish plus three replica civil war cannons to build. Two for the customer and he's furnishing the materials for a third to be mine. :icon_cool:

In between it all, my shop really needs a thorough cleaning and reorganizing. :eek:

As far as the fantasy list, if Eye doesn't quit posting beautiful machining projects, a radial engine would surely be on the list. :p

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
This winter.

Main bike job is to get Laramie the 1980 XS1100 in riding condition. Needs new brakes and fuel taps, and a few other things.
Current work is finishing the shed I built for an influx of tools.
Late November my boat will get hauled and sit on the hard til late February. I have a few chores to do there.
Bluzu the Suzuki will be parked. Need to adjust the valve clearance sometime.
Yami and the side car are running and ready for action. Yami got new tyres a couple of weeks ago, but I do not like the front. Will swap that next spring when the side car gets removed. Also planning on a new steering damper.
Putting a new front tyre on my XS400, and he will be ready for winter riding in late November.

Unkle Crusty* And there is a sail boat in my drive that I have to clean up and sell.

·
Registered
943 Posts
....And there is a sail boat in my drive that I have to clean up and sell.
I have two of those, if anybody is interested! Got a 24' Lonestar stern-drive cabin cruiser and a 21' bow-rider, both for sale. I'll give a good price (so I can buy more motorcycles LOL!)

·
Registered
943 Posts
That's cool MD! I built a 1/3 scale 6-pounder about 15 years ago. It had a 1" bore in steel tube pressed into a bronze barrel so it was safe to fire. Every piece, including the chains, was made by hand. I sold it about 5 years ago.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That's cool MD! I built a 1/3 scale 6-pounder about 15 years ago. It had a 1" bore in steel tube pressed into a bronze barrel so it was safe to fire. Every piece, including the chains, was made by hand. I sold it about 5 years ago.

You are making me drool all over my keyboard Dianne! NICE work. Where did you get the hunk of bronze if I may ask? The ones I'll be making will have solid steel barrels. The customer found some heavy DOM with a 1 1/2" bore.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You are making me drool all over my keyboard Dianne! NICE work. Where did you get the hunk of bronze if I may ask? The ones I'll be making will have solid steel barrels. The customer found some heavy DOM with a 1 1/2" bore.
The barrel was a piece of 38" long, 4" OD, 2" ID, 660 bearing bronze. It cost me about $400 in 2002.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

Damn girl you are full of surprises and never ending talent.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Have three: A 6" x 30" inch Atlas, 15" x 96" LeBlond..
Okay, so now I have lathe-envy.

and a 28" x 108" Lodge & Shipley.
For those of you reading this who might not quite understand what that means: If you need something turned up to the size of a propeller shaft for an aircraft carrier and you're in Nebraska, go see Metal Doc. He can probably make you one.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Darn Dianne, with your talent you should be making lots of money!! I love cannons. Here's one that really caught my eye a few years ago. I've seen it a couple times at bike rallies. He fires it right before the band(s) start.

His barrel is steel also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts