Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Suzuki 650 dual sport cranks and runs pretty as you please for about 5 minutes then floods out.I am no mechanic as you may know but is this a float or needle valve problem,it just started doing this out of the clear blue.Any input is appreciated.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Check to be sure the enrichener (choke) is working properly and the cable/mechanism isn't binding.

You can check the float level with a clear piece of tubing connected to the carb drain on many models. Just hold it up to the side of the carb to see how full the bowl is getting. A leaking float valve will cause fuel exit the overflow.

It could be a fuel mixture problem, which can be caused by an improper adjustment or more likely dirty jets or air passages. A disassembly and good soaking in carb dip with proper attention to the jets will fix most problems there.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Just in case

Many times a motorcycle that runs well for 5 minutes will have an obstructed gas cap vent. The gas tank then quits flowing fuel. The test for this is to open the gas cap and see if the bike will run again.

Since you did not say exactly how you know the bike is flooding and that you are no mechanic, I thought that I would mention the gas cap vent as a possibility. If the bike is flooding out, pulling a spark plug would probably show a black deposit that is wet with gasoline.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts