Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a couple vintage ATK 406 enduro bikes. I have zero experience with ATK, so I'm looking for known issues, positives, anything.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got both of them running! They had spent a few years in storage. Carbs cleaned, fresh fuel, wash, and BANG they came back to life.
These were awesome bikes in their day. Made in USA with all the best parts of the day. A US racing company made the frames. Austrian made Rotax motors, wheels from Norway, Italian Acerbis plastics, WP suspensions,
The 88-93 models had a transmission mounted rear disc brake. Kind of odd, but it works well.
I took them both out for a test ride yesterday. POWER! The hard part is keeping the front wheel down. Wheelies in every gear!
So far the only negative for me is the 38" seat height, these are tall bikes.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Back in my junior high school days I wanted an ATK so bad. The allure was being USA made and relatively rare. No one I knew had one. But growing up in a poor household it was not meant to be. I had to settle for my Suzuki 125 Quadrunner. Now that I'm older I could afford to buy one and fix it up, but the allure is no longer there for me. Very nice to see when someone keeps these old machines running!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts