Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that no thief is going to wet their pants with excitement at the sight of my little EX250, but I want to be careful nonetheless.
I'm not too sure what I can use specifically for my bike, but I would like a sensor of some kind that makes a hell of a ruckus when someone gets too close or the bike is tilted. I have seen one of these sensors on a CBR600RR, but haven't been able to find any for my little Ninja.
Any good advice or places to look for ways to protect my bike from getting stolen?
During the day, I'm not too worried as I am either riding it or it is under a cover in my backyard guarded by my dogs (good luck, theives) but at night the dogs are inside and my bike is a sitting duck. As I start to ride my bike elsewhere, I do get very nervous about leaving it out in a parking lot. Just yesterday I rode over to a friend's house, and left my bike in his driveway, but I noticed some guys in a pickup truck roll up and stop right across the street from my bike and I was pretty worried they were scoping the bike out, hence why I'm taking preemptive measures.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think you're right - it definitely works in your favor that the EX250 is not a bike that thieves typically get excited about. The only risk factor I see is that it is light and easier to lift than many other motorcycles.

So I know that no thief is going to wet their pants with excitement at the sight of my little EX250, but I want to be careful nonetheless.
That's what I thought I wanted too, when I got back into riding over the summer. As I studied the reviews on these devices, what I learned was that there were a LOT of complaints about false alarms, reliability, utility, etc. with many of these devices. I didn't find any that got consistently good reviews, that appealed to me. So I decided against getting one. YMMV. If some company develops a solid, dependable alarm that is not easily defeated and works as designed at a reasonable cost, I will re-think this decision. But I haven't found such a product, yet.

I'm not too sure what I can use specifically for my bike, but I would like a sensor of some kind that makes a hell of a ruckus when someone gets too close or the bike is tilted.
Don't park it in any isolated areas. Always lock the forks. Chain it to something robust with a quality lock and chain when parking it overnight, whenever possible (this may be less practical if you are spending the night away from home). Try to park in a place where it is highly visible and where it's difficult for thieves to tell if they are being seen/watched, or where they know they certainly ARE seen and watched. Parking where there is video camera coverage when possible is a plus!

Any good advice or places to look for ways to protect my bike from getting stolen?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right - it definitely works in your favor that the EX250 is not a bike that thieves typically get excited about. The only risk factor I see is that it is light and easier to lift than many other motorcycles.

That's what I thought I wanted too, when I got back into riding over the summer. As I studied the reviews on these devices, what I learned was that there were a LOT of complaints about false alarms, reliability, utility, etc. with many of these devices. I didn't find any that got consistently good reviews, that appealed to me. So I decided against getting one. YMMV

Don't park it in any isolated areas. Always lock the forks. Chain it to something robust with a quality lock and chain when parking it overnight, whenever possible (this may be less practical if you are spending the night away from home). Try to park in a place where it is highly visible and where it's difficult for thieves to tell if they are being seen/watched, or where they know they certainly ARE seen and watched. Parking where there is video camera coverage when possible is a plus!
Thank you :) I will definitely keep these in mind. :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
They make disk locks with motion detector alarms. They are pretty simple and don't cost much. It makes the motorcycle impossible to roll and will make noise when the bike is moved.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dods, I just picked up one of said disc locks :) my Dad accidentally set it off... twice. About made my ears bleed lol
And eye, if I had my own place I'd put it in the house for sure! But my mom would throw a fit :(

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Lock it.

A long time ago I rode a small fat tyred Suzuki trail bike down town. Put a chain around the frame and around a parking meter. Two big guys studied the arrangement and lifted the bike up about three feet, so the chain cleared the top of the meter post. They walked off both having a chuckle. I was in the liquor store and had watched them do it. Had to admit it was pretty funny.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you don't mind saying, please let me know the brand and model of disc lock you got, and how it works out for you. That is what I was considering, but there were a lot of negative reviews online... so I have been waiting...

Thanks Dods, I just picked up one of said disc locks :) my Dad accidentally set it off... twice. About made my ears bleed lol
And eye, if I had my own place I'd put it in the house for sure! But my mom would throw a fit :(

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Thief

When I worked for the Harbour Authority and someone chained anything to our property, I would give them 24 hours grace. Then it was just a matter of the severity of the tool I would use to unchain whatever it was. Sparks would fly, and in less than a minute it would be mine.
But not everyone is legally armed to the teeth, with implements of thievery.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't mind saying, please let me know the brand and model of disc lock you got, and how it works out for you. That is what I was considering, but there were a lot of negative reviews online... so I have been waiting...
It's a stockton.
http://www.cyclegear.com/STOCKTON-TOOL-COMPANY-Alarm-Disc-Lock
It works pretty well, but it tends to be pretty sensitive from what I've seen so far (that can be good or bad). It chirps at me as a warning when I'm putting my cover on the bike.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
If a thief wants it bad enough they will take it. Make sure you have a good insurance policy.
Insurance is the best.

IF the bass-turds steal it... it is plastic, iron and rubber.

....and replaceable.

A lock or an alarm are designed to keep an honest man honest. If a thief wants it, they will have it. I saw a video a couple of years ago where thieves pulled up in a van, 3 or 4 jumped out, lifted a Harley up and threw it inside, with it's alarm going off and lights flashing, closed the van door and drove off.

My Harley came with factory security, and for 15 bucks, I added a couple of cheap sirens. They're loud.

Did it just to keep an honest man honest.

I also have great insurance, because it is what works best.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,750 Posts
I saw that video. Was amazing just how fast they did it. Makes you realize there isn't a thing you can do if someone wants something bad enough. Best to not get attached to anything that's just assorted parts in a shape, assembled and produces a function you can use and like.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Yeah, the best anti-theft devices can do is be a deterrent, but often is all that is needed. Thieves prefer easy targets so slowing them down or drawing attention may prevent the theft.

As said, if they are determined to steal something they'll likely get it done, but doing nothing at all to discourage theft isn't a good plan either. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
In our country in Philippines.. If you park your bike make sure you use a big pad lock and a big metal chain to lock the mags or any part of the bike, the goal is to make it unmovable... also we did it to the helmet...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info! Please keep us posted on how well you like it.
I love it, but it is really sensitive. It woke me up last night, went off because of the thunder and lighting I sh*t you not. I do wish it was louder, as funny as that seems, but it's better than what I had before... which was a tired old ed heeler :)

And NoCapes, I gave that article a read... very interesting indeed

·
Registered
809 Posts
Those were the two biggest complaints I kept hearing/reading and why I do not have one yet:

1. Too sensitive / too many false alarms
2. Problems with de-activating it / turning it off, even numerous reported problems with the alarms going off while transporting them (ie. in a backpack, tank bag or saddlebag).

I think I will wait for further advances in technology and quality.

Thanks for the update!

I love it, but it is really sensitive. It woke me up last night, went off because of the thunder and lighting I sh*t you not. I do wish it was louder, as funny as that seems, but it's better than what I had before... which was a tired old ed heeler :)

And NoCapes, I gave that article a read... very interesting indeed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts