Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hey guys, new poster here :D

To the important part, Bikes! Okay so I passed my first just over a year ago and bought my first bike, a honda cb600f 2002 (half faired version). Have to admit, at first I thought maybe I had gotten the wrong bike, was a bit heavy, felt nervous when I started riding her. Slowly got more confident and a lot happier. Doing a few long ride outs and decided to take it down to the south of Spain (I live in the south of England) for the summer to see my parents. Was an awesome journey, camped, saw my sister in France, travelled some great roads and just had a good ride.

Then after a month of riding to and from work I took it out for a fun ride on one of my days off and crashed her :(
Front wheel came out from under me while going around a corner. Luckily I was wearing all the gear and only came out with a torn wrist ligament. The bike however was totalled.
After 9 months, 6000 miles my first bike was gone.

But, I finally have saved up some money to get a new bike. The majority of my riding is small town riding, long fun rides and longer tours (will be going back to Spain again this summer, visit the sister in France, travel up to Scotland/Wales). I can't break the bank either, so it'll likely be an older bike (unless I'm really persuaded).

I have been looking at CBR600F (1998-2000) and ZZR600.
I'm also open to other options.
I want a bike that would be fun on rides out, comfortable enough for longer journeys. I'm happy not to be going mental speeds, want to get something that I'll enjoy for a long time. I would likely get a haynes manual and Im fairly handy if I can see/read what I need to do.

Btw I'm 5ft 10 and about 150lbs

Any help would be massively appreciated guys!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A bike that I really enjoyed was the 1300 cc 4 cylinder Yamaha they call a Royal Star Tour Deluxe. They are no longer being made but a 2008 to 2010 model should be quite reasonable in price. I would suggest you at least test ride one. If you decide you don't like it, what have you lost? If you love it the way I did it will be great for those nice short trips to Scotland or France.

·
10,756 Posts
The problem for us here to recommend a bike to you in England is that the offerings in both countries are different. I love to look at all the different cars/bikes that are on the roads there that I never see here. Since you are from England, have you thought of the bikes from Triumph? A nice Bonneville would be a great bike and not to expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oldman47 - very nice bike, although I can only find a few for about £4000 which is above my budget. I also should have mentioned I'm not looking for anything over a 800 really. Ideally between 500cc-800cc.

Badlands-4-2 - I forgot about being in England rather than America. Although most Japanese bikes I can get over here. Some of the model names might be different but about 95% of bikes I have seen mentioned on american forums, you can get over here.

Should have mentioned that my hornet was restricted to 33bhp so the top speed was limited but I could still get some hefty movement.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Well,yes you can get most of the same bikes as we have here in the US,but the steering handlebar is on the other side of the bike:D

·
Banned
148 Posts
Either 600cc bike will suit you fine, both are reliable and good running examples. ZZR or CBR will take maturity on your part not to open it up. But the handling and braking is fantastic and can save you when other style bikes simply cannot. Try to learn from your last wreck, read the road surfaces, never front brake on a turn, slide your weight off the seat than lean the bike too far over and lose tire contact with the road, do everything smooth, don't ride outside your level....these bikes are faultless, mishaps are rider error. Ride safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts