Motorcycle Forum banner

Another Tall Beginner!

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Stablefull 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm 6'6 with a 36'' inseam and looking to get my first motorcycle this spring. I have *zero* experience riding so I'd appreciate any advice you guys can throw my way on getting a bike and learning the basics. Definitely gonna take the Georgia MSP in the next couple weeks, and I have read enough to know I'll need a cheaper used bike to learn on before putting real money into something.

Heard good stuff about the SV650, the VStrom 650, and the KLR 650. Additionally, someone nearby is selling a very clean 2007 Yamaha R6 for $1800. By far the best deal out of anything I've seen online, but probably either too small or too much bike for a noobie?

Ultimately I'd like to end up with something in the vein of a Bonneville, but I'd rather not blow thousands of dollars on a bike just to drop it a zillion times the first year or so.

Thanks for reading, excited to get started with all this.

#8 ·
Welcome from Seattle! I am on the tall side, though not as tall as you...l am about 6'3", 34 inch inseam. I ride an SV650 and l love it. However, it has a lot of torque and l would not suggest ot for a new rider unless you really took naturally to riding in your BRC. And the R6 would be even worse.

Like we suggested for the other really tall guy who popped in recently, l think your best bet is a dual purpose bike. They are tall and easy to ride, and powerful enough to haul you around, but still very forgiving. I have heard great things about the Suzuki DR400, and they are in the same price range as the SV and the V-Strom

#9 ·
All these tall guys with short legs!

I recommend a 500 cc or less (unless 650cc 2 cyl) while learning as it is plenty fast lol and also consider a bike that is sprung for your mass. My Stock EX500 comes with 300# springs (set for a 130# rider), I had to upgrade to 450# for my weight (195# in gear). Otherwise you have to upgrade suspension to ride safely.

#10 ·
I'm 6'4" and bought a 2007 Ninja 650r last year. It's not *perfect* but it fits the bill. The MSF course 250s were the worst ever though. They were trying to have us develop muscle memory and the like, but it was impossible for me because my muscles hurt from having to be a contortionist on those things. It was like the clown at the circus riding the little kid bike. Horrible.

#15 ·
Welcome from another tall guy.
I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. I think a dual sport would be a great starter to the height advantaged newbie. I started on a Honda Shadow 600, and while it didn't feel small at the time, I now wonder how I ever folded myself onto that little thing.
I don't feel too cramped on a Bonneville, and used ones can be found for good prices. I don't think the Triumph wouldn't be out of order for a new rider.

Take the course, test ride some scoots and see what blips your throttle. I've always said that bikes and dogs choose their owners...not the other way around.

Good luck:icon_cool:

#16 ·
Hey from another sort of tall guy (6'4" 225lbs. and 34" inseam), single cylinder street/trail bikes make good beginners for tall guys like us. They are light, handle well and if you get one 400cc- 650cc they will do highway speeds and give the choice of riding in the dirt to learn how to handle it and falling on dirt usually doesn't hurt as much, especially if you see yourself falling that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.