Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A New Hampshire woman is dead and at least one other person hurt after a motorcycle accident along Interstate 84. It happened just before 4 p.m. Thursday.

Brenda Goodwin, 43, of Atkinson, New Hampshire was pronounced dead at the hospital. She was riding on the back of a motorcycle, driven by Mark Goodwin, also of Atkinson, when traffic on the eastbound side of the highway near Exit 44 stopped suddenly.

Police say, the motorcycle collided with a car and then fell to its side. Another vehicle hit Brenda Goodwin. One of the cars involved in the accident drove off, but police were able to stop it nearby.

Mark Goodwin went to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. So far no charges have been filed in the accident."

No Charges? A guy runs over a biker on the road and "no charges" are filed? I suppose it was a "I couldn't stop" scenario, similar to Tony Stewart's recent situation, but still.........

The traffic "stopped suddenly." Should the driver of the bike been more dilligent about watching what's going on in front of him? Should he have left more room between him and the car in front of him?

All very good questions, and yet..........there is still yet one more death involving a motorcyclist (passenger). Once you are a pedestrian on the road, however, it wouldn't have mattered if you were "on a bike" or in a car; you still are an object on the road.

Sad..........my prayers for the family.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My son was on his way home from work and got stuck in the traffic jam, he did not see the accident happen, but saw enough of the damage.

I'm sure charges will be filed once they finish the investigation, should atleast get hit and run, I don't think they will be able to charge with vehicular manslaughter because they will not be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the car had enough time to stop before hitting the woman. Its like if a kid darts out in the road, and you do everything humanly possible but still hit the child. I don't know the circumstances of the accident, as I haven't watched the news in ages (too depressing). Was she hit right after falling off the bike?

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's "my" impression yes. That the passenger (the woman) was thrown from the bike, into the path of the oncoming car.

That's the sad part of course. You could potentially survive the bike going down, but you could be subject to being hit after that.

In this case, I fault the driver of the bike (my opinion) for "following too closely," and not paying attention, for the bike going down in the first place.

-Soupy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts