Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all have complicated and unique lives............

The "Motorcycle" may be very important to us, to be sure, but we are also very multifaceted in our lives. There are dynamics to each of us that are probably not as well known.

In "my" case, I suppose that one of those facets is a love for music performance, which I've been doing since I was a wee lad.

Singing, (secular, religious) in everything from solo performance to groups (choirs of all types, Bands, Church, Barbershop, etc). Playing many different instruments (guitar, banjitar, organ, piano, harmonica,Trombone, mandolin, etc) and performance (my most enjoyable performance of late was on the Stage of the Old Ryman Auditorium in Nashville), .................

All that said...........the other day I was listening to the radio, and heard a song that somehow was not on my radar (probably because I was listening to a lot of Bluegrass lately) came into focus.

When I listened to it for the first time, I heard the distinct and unusual sound of a Ukulele. So I grabbed mine, and learned it in fifteen minutes, and then issued a challenge to a young man who lives in South Carolina who also plays the Ukulele, (I've watched him grow up; good kid) to learn it.

Here was the result:

-Soupy

·
Nightfly
4,039 Posts
As a musician I can appreciate your playing very much. Nice work on the Ukulele Soupy. This song by Train goes back a few year but I don't know if I'd call it a "cover" version of the song since you're playing along with the original in the background. But nice playing non-the-less.

You might find this version of Train singing their song with Daryl Hall on his internet show, "Live at Daryl's House." Scroll down to Hey Soul Sister, it's very cool.
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=46

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a musician I can appreciate your playing very much. Nice work on the Ukulele Soupy. This song by Train goes back a few year but I don't know if I'd call it a "cover" version of the song since you're playing along with the original in the background. But nice playing non-the-less.

You might find this version of Train singing their song with Daryl Hall on his internet show, "Live at Daryl's House." Scroll down to Hey Soul Sister, it's very cool.
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=46

I called it a "Cover" because YouTube is ultra-sensitive to that sort of thing, and I was trying to avoid any hassles.

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Ukulele

I have a new non played ukulele on the boat. Hoping to learn. Have a busted thumb from years ago, that gets tired easily. But thought it would be okay for the soft touch of the ukulele. However earlier this year I had both wrists operated on. Right hand is fine. Left hand has little feeling in the big finger. So waiting for the feeling to return. Then I can rescue the ukulele from the boat and get started.

Unkle Crusty

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It IS a bit more forgiving than the guitar and mandolin.........being "cat gutt" and all.

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Ukulele

Just got back from the boat, ukulele now inside and getting warm.
First I load my rubber ducky on a hand cart, with the 2 1/2 Yamaha OBM for this trip. Then it is an 800 step walk to the ocean. RD in water and about 300 yards, maybe 400 to the boat. Then reverse the process but this time up a medium rise in the road. Also brought back the two kayaks on board.
The boat is in 25 feet of water swinging from my mooring buoy. Might move it to the docks for the winter.

Unkle Crusty

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Oh HogCowboy, I can hardly believe you posted that. I refuse to push the play button!! I remember him being on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson. I had to cover my ears!!!

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
Oh HogCowboy, I can hardly believe you posted that. I refuse to push the play button!! I remember him being on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson. I had to cover my ears!!!
I hear ya. I had to listen to a couple bars just to be sure I had the right ugly sound.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You poor thing. I feel sorry for you. We'll understand if you are a little ill for the next couple weeks. LOL!!!

·
American Legion Rider
20,039 Posts
I was more concerned with my hearing. I only have one good ear!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Tiny Tim

Yes, this is what I had in mind. Good old Herbert Khaury ( Tiny Tim ) and several of his songs. Let's not forget Miss Vicki.
I can just picture myself on the boat in the summer playing some TT songs, and maybe Ukulele Lady from South Pacific.
Shirley will probably leave in her kayak. I think beer will help my performance. But I guess first I have to tune it, and learn a few chords.

Unkle Crusty. BTW. I have already outlived TT by 4 years.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
There are people that want to ban handguns, but think Ukulele's are fine and wonderful things to allow out in the general population.

As a society, I think we're pretty much finished.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh my aching ears!!! Now my kids won't complain as much with my shower singing.......Thanks Hog, now I'm gonna have to throw on some Megadeth just to get that sound out of my brain.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts