Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , I thought I had posted an introduction thread when I joined, but apparently I didn't.

Anyway, my name is Pat, and I live in SW Pennsylvania. I used to ride as a teen in the nineties, but stopped riding in around '97. I've always wanted to get another bike, but my wife had issues with me riding.

After about ten years of discussions last September, when the time came to sell my beat up Cherokee, she was finally accepting of trying to trade it for a bike. After a week of the Jeep being on Craigslist, someone showed up with a 2000 Shadow ACE 750 in mint condition.

Of course, I had to take it. It took all of two rides (and two subsequent tip overs) in my driveway to realize that it was too heavy, and in too nice of condition, for my current skill level.

With the BRC not available until spring here in PA, and my wife going 180° on her street bike views, deciding that she wanted to take the BRC with me and start riding. The hunt was on for a smaller bike to ride.

So Saturday I found a ratty 1980 Suzuki GN 400 with no title on Craigslist for the princely sum of $250 (full story in the Suzuki sub forum) and talked him down to $200. But the little beast runs and drives, and no worries of tipping it over!

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The BRC is a great place to learn some of the basics. Good Luck to you and your wife.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Moni. I don't plan on leaving the neighborhood until after the BRC, it's a real shame that they don't run it from November to April here in PA.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
A friend of mine tried starting out on a Honda Shadow. He dropped it twice and sold it. Gave up riding altogether. Glad you're ready to get back on!

And....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's (and gals)! To be clear, Metaldoc. I'm not getting rid of the Shadow, just getting my bike legs back on something a little less intimidating.

I really had no other choice but to get back on. First, it took a decade to get my wife to be OK with me getting a bike. Not to mention, I have a six year old daughter (who incidentally is trying to figure out how to ride a bicycle), what kind of example would I be setting if I try something a couple of times, have some set backs, and walk away saying "it's too hard"?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
A "Shadow" (I owned two of them) is a great bike for a starter bike, imho.

You are fortunate that you have a wife who is not only supportive, but also a potential rider herself!!

Southwest Pennsylvania is where Mr. Fred Rogers is buried. Put a flower on his family vault for me, would ya, if you are ever in that area.....

Unity Presbyterian Cemetery
Latrobe
Westmoreland County
Pennsylvania USA

-Soupy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do, Soupy. We go to Latrobe fairly frequently. My daughter goes to a school program at St. Vincent college fall and spring each year.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Welcome from Bangor, up in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains in NE Pa. Your in a very pretty part of the state, I often head out to Ohiopyle to kayak over the waterfall, one of the few things that is actually as much fun as riding my motorcycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DOI_M6vjXg

( I'm in the blue boat)

Good luck with your new endeavor, isn't the fact that PA offers the BRC free such a nice perk? I took mine in July in Tobyhanna, learned a lot, and here I am 10,000 miles later a daily bike commuter and I can't get enough, the winter is going to be so tough to wait out once I have to stop riding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts