Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm by no means a new rider. I'm a 66 year old Vietnam veteran, retired commercial electrician, now looking after my wife who has become disabled. I got back into motorcycling a few years back resurrecting a basket case '78 Suzuki GS1000E. I enjoy bringing old machines back to life. This one has progressed from a multicolor conglomeration of parts into a nice looking everyday rider. In the process I have become my own mechanic, learning how to rebuild carburetors brake systems and modernizing the electrical system so it is reliable. The bike has a Vance and Hines 4-1 street pipe, K&N pods, a Dyna-S ignition, coils, wires and a stage-3 jet kit. I found a set of "back in the day" drilled rotors and switched to stainless steel braided brake lines. The stator was toast so it was replaced and I upgraded the electrical system with a Compu-Fire 40A three phase Series R/R and a coil relay mod. I'm in the process of replacing all the harness plugs with Furukawa sealed connectors. I found a "S" model fairing and a sport touring windshield for it. The multicolor has been changed to black with custom silver pin stripe and Suzuki "S" on either side of the fairing and on the tail piece. I upgraded the front end with Progressive springs and finished it off with progressive shocks and a 530 chain conversion. With large saddle bags it makes a nice touring bike for one up. I had to change the tank for a NOS '80 tank with the associated dreaded '80 petcock but it's not so bad, the fuel gauge is perfectly screwed up so I have a gallon left when it reads empty and it gets a solid 44 MPG on regular pump gas.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I do enjoy it. It's already in the cross country category, but I think I'll skip Denver with the VM carburetors. Maybe that rocky mountain high will lean out the carbs at altitude.;)

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for your service.

Post up some pictures when you get time. We love to see resto projects! You said your wife is disabled but does she also get to enjoy the bike?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sadly no, She has Pick's disease and it would scare her to death. She went from being a top sales consultant in the lighting industry to a three year old in less than a year. I had more fun in Vietnam :rolleyes: but raising a rather large new daughter is interesting and challenging to say the least. I'll post up some pictures when I get time to take new ones dumbed down enough for the site.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!!
Got a good friend in "Chester" Virginia.
And spent a few weeks training at "Fort Lee" before shipping over in 1969.
Is that your bike in your avatar? Post a large pic! Looks Nice!
Regards
Ed

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
So sorry to hear about your wife's illness OldVet. I too looked it up. Sounds like another really nasty disease. Glad you are able to get out and ride. That has to be a great distraction.

What do you mean about dumbing down pictures for the site? Either way we are anxious to see them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the greetings. Yes, that's my bike, '78 GS1000E. I'll have to get another hosting site for pictures, these forums don't seem to like what I have been using. You have some really nice riding down where you live. Where we moved from recently, Mt. Weather was right behind the house and there was good riding through the vineyard areas to the south of us. I'm working on getting my wife in a program so I can take some mental health breaks and ride a bit more. My bike likes the trips to the grocery store but a day of riding would be like Christmas in July for me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So sorry to hear about your wife's illness OldVet. I too looked it up. Sounds like another really nasty disease. Glad you are able to get out and ride. That has to be a great distraction.

What do you mean about dumbing down pictures for the site? Either way we are anxious to see them.
All my pictures are high resolution and take up a lot of bandwidth. I need to convert them or take new pictures. Yes, a nasty disease but worse yet it's projected that 1 in every 6 women in the US will suffer an early onset frontotemporal (FTD) disease. Pick's just happens to be the worst of the group. It seems to be genetic. I believe her uncle had it but back then they called all FTD's Alzheimer's.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I understand about the pictures. My husband had to reset my camera so they weren't so hi res. On our trip west in 2010 it took 3 cd's to load the 1200+ pics I took.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Welcome from Ct. Thank you for your service to our country. I don't think our vets get enough of that and they do deserve it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Your picture.

I just used the IMG tags to make it show up here. It is still on imageshack but looks like it is here. If you right click the image, actually any image, you can look at its properties like the pixel size and such.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts